Power efficiency

Power efficiency is a popular topic clearly, I am trying to follow this news post: https://unraid.net/blog/energy-efficient-server
Which also leads to this post: 

I haven't been able to find an answer though as to why disk shares are more efficient over user shares, what does avoids FUSE overhead mean?

If you set up a user share that only uses one drive, would it be the same as using disk shares? Also I'm not sure if using user shares can be avoided entirely since appdata is necessary. 

Also, I'm sorry if I should have added a comment to the old post instead of writing this one.

3 hours ago, Facsimile8512 said:

I haven't been able to find an answer though as to why disk shares are more efficient over user shares, what does avoids FUSE overhead mean?

This is an extra layer of code above Samba that Unraid uses to manage presenting the Unified view of a User Share that spans multiple drives.   Bypassing this means that there is less code executed during file transfers, and also means that Unraid does not need to check other drives for any particular file.

Is it best to assign specific drives to user shares when they are needed for plugins or it doesn’t matter for power consumption, therefore, disk shares are better for power consumption when shared over network or it matters if plugin is directed to a user share vs disk share as well?

Should creation of user shares be avoided in general when trying to conserve power? 

I guess I’m still confused if there’s any difference by creating a user share that goes to a specific drive only vs using directly that specific drive for plugins and network access?

• 3 weeks later...