Unraid server to Unraid server Unassigned device backup

Weoxstan

I am looking to backup ~10 - 11 TB of data from my main production Unraid server to my test/demo Unraid server.  My production server has 31 TB of storage with 10.5 TB used. The test/demo Unraid box has 4TB of drive space on the array with one 12 TB drive as an Unassigned Device. Since this box is used for testing and demos I don't want my data from the production server to be on the array of the demo box.  Looking for any guidance with this quest. I have been looking for a way to do this for a couple of days now without much luck. I have found lots of info on Unraid to Unraid backups, and Unraid to local Unassigned device backups, but nothing on Unraid to Unassigned device on another Unraid box. 

Other info: The demo box is only on about 1 day a week, so a cold backup or file sync would be ok. I know a true backup should be offsite but right now I just need a local backup in a different box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Jeff

You should be able to address a Unassigned Devices mounted USB drive as /mnt/disks/DRIVE_MOUNT_POINT as in:

/mnt/disks/EXT_USB_FAN_1

image.thumb.png.74295efd892133a330f7c739859b0666.png

I do something similar, using rsync and ssh to back up my main server's media directory to a second Unraid server.  Below is a link to the detailed part of the thread I started (worth reading the whole thread) and SpaceinvaderOne's video on setting up SSH keys:

ConnerVT

Thanks for the links and the copy of your script. I too followed the video from SPX Labs and had issues. It worked once then after that it wanted a password every time.

From your post I followed SpaceInvader's video and that seems to have fixed the SSH connection issue. I used one modified line from your script  to test a small directory sync from my production box the backup box's unassigned device and it worked!

I really like the idea of the system messaging me the stats on the sync, and since I have IPMI on both servers I'll be modifying your script to suit my needs.

Thank you so much for the post and pointing me in the right direction. 

FYI: I also "suffer?" from OSD...

Jeff 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply as well as having me revisit my old thread.  I will likely be updating the script in the next few weeks (when I find time - who has any to spare?). 

My backups have been failing at times, which I believe has been due to some of my dockers not setting permissions correctly.  As what I'm backing up is all media files, I will probably have the script set owner and permission before the first rsync command.  I would also like to add a pass/fail check to each sub-directory (Movie/TV/Music) to make the messages more informative.

So if you are still working on this, you may want to check back on that thread, as I will likely post a revised version of the script there.