Jump to content

user0 mount point missing after stop/restart array 5.12a


ibixat

Recommended Posts

I'm not sure if anyone else is seeing this behaviour but it's not hard to replicate.  If you stop your array and restart it without rebooting the machine does it properly remake the user0 mount point?  I had stopped mine and restarted and the user0 mount point was gone, I didn't think too much of it as I didn't need to use it right then and I had a memory upgrade coming so I was rebooting soon, but then mover didn't run for me. I stopped the array and rebooted and the user0 was back.

 

The next day comes and I have a large quantity of rips I need to move from my pc's HD to the array, I want to disable the cache drive for the share I'm using so I disable it but last time I did that the change didn't take effect till restarting the array. So I stopped the array again and restarted and once again the user0 is missing, the log shows it being removed but never recreated.  Long story short I had some issues at that point with drives saying for free space "resizing" after stopping and restarting array and they wouldn't change to normal and they were causing problems so I had to bring the system down improperly, machine is back up and running user0 is back my parity check is running and hitting a bunch of out of sync problems, no doubt from my bad shutdown, the data I recently wrote to the array seems to be in good shape so I'm not sure what's going on there but that's not really the issue I'm posting about.  I kinda wish sync errors during a parity check could also report the file on each disc that could possibly be affected so i could verify they are not problematic etc.  I'll run the file system checks and another parity once this one finishes.

 

Anyway, the thing I wanted to bring up was the stop and start array, for me it does not recreate the user0 mount point, can anyone else please check and verify if the same issue happens to them.  They sync errors and whatnot are my own screw up, so the middle there was just me venting =P thanks for listening.

 

Brian

Link to comment

Not sure what exactly you are doing with that long-winded paragraph but I don't believe user0 is created unless you have a cache disk. You posted you were unassigning it.

 

Peter

 

I never said I unassigned the cache disk, I disabled it on the one share that I was about to transfer a large amount of data to.  It was still enabled on 2 or the 3 other shares.

 

It's safe to ignore paragraph 2 for the most part, as I said that was venting from being frustrated at issues I'm having, the real issue is stated explicitly in paragraph 1 and reiterated in 3.

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

You know what, I have the same problem.  Just noticed mover hasn't been working since Oct 1st.  I don't activity in syslog; I even run it manually and nothing happens.  I opened the mover script and found that I was jumping out right at the beginning when it checks to see if /mnt/user0 exists and I found that it doesn't even thoughi I do have an active cache drive (which I have had for 2 years)...  Not sure why user0 disappeared...

 

I am rebooting now to see if it comes back...  yes, it did.  But I think the stopping and starting of the array without a reboot does indeed cause the problem, ibixat describes, even with an active cache drive user0 disappears...  this will render the standard mover script useless as it will never run properly until the next reboot (even if you run it manually).

Link to comment

You know what, I have the same problem.  Just noticed mover hasn't been working since Oct 1st.  I don't activity in syslog; I even run it manually and nothing happens.  I opened the mover script and found that I was jumping out right at the beginning when it checks to see if /mnt/user0 exists and I found that it doesn't even thoughi I do have an active cache drive (which I have had for 2 years)...  Not sure why user0 disappeared...

 

I am rebooting now to see if it comes back...  yes, it did.  But I think the stopping and starting of the array without a reboot does indeed cause the problem, ibixat describes, even with an active cache drive user0 disappears...  this will render the standard mover script useless as it will never run properly until the next reboot (even if you run it manually).

I also have this problem. User0 went away after a start/stop.

Link to comment

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...