Parity Sync very slow (new build)

Hi, I have just started a new build 

I will primarily be using ZFS pools, however I have tried to setup the main array (3x 4TB Samsung 870EVO SSDs one as parity) and the parity sync is saying its going to take weeks.

It started at 400MB/s then slowly went down to <1MB/s

After reading a few other posts it looks like this is not normal behaviour, I have attached my diagnostics (yes I know, I didn't change the "Tower" name :D) 

Can anyone see where I'm going wrong?

Cheers,

Simon

tower-diagnostics-20231201-1229.zip

Did you reboot the server after starting the Parity Sync?    Just asking as it appears you have the Parity Check Tuning plugin installed and it has currently paused the Parity Sync (which it probably should not have) after restarting the sync as you have the restart option set.   You could try disabling that option or even removing the plugin for the time being to see if that helps.

Thanks for the reply itimpi, I had tried rebooting etc...

A little while ago the parity drive said it failed. I found that a little strange. So I shutdown the system then took the (new) drive out. 

It turns out, after I took the SSD apart that they are counterfeit units!! It looks like they were actually generic 100GB drives with some fun firmware. Pretty annoying because I purchased them from a reputable store (after speaking with store owner they have refunded me and will assist in finding replacement for free, he was pretty shocked)

Pretty good fakes, came in a high quality box and the SSD casing is just like my other Samsung SSDs!

Apologies for wasting your time. 

Cheers,

Simon

10 hours ago, shoarebury said:

Thanks for the reply itimpi, I had tried rebooting etc...

A little while ago the parity drive said it failed. I found that a little strange. So I shutdown the system then took the (new) drive out. 

It turns out, after I took the SSD apart that they are counterfeit units!! It looks like they were actually generic 100GB drives with some fun firmware. Pretty annoying because I purchased them from a reputable store (after speaking with store owner they have refunded me and will assist in finding replacement for free, he was pretty shocked)

Pretty good fakes, came in a high quality box and the SSD casing is just like my other Samsung SSDs!

Apologies for wasting your time. 

Cheers,

Simon

Well done for even discovering they were fakes.   This is the first time I have heard of fake SSDs.   I thought it was only fake flash drives we had to be wary of.

on the outside they look perfect. It was driving me crazy as I want to get this box ready for deployment this weekend and have heaps left to do, I checked the serials on them and they checked out, so I thought f'it I'll just open the drive to make sure I didn't get scammed.  As soon as I opened one it was very obvious, sanded down controller and nand chips. Googled what it was meant to look like and was completely different.

There was some text on the back of the board which led me down a rabbit hole of fake drive threads... it seems to be these 870 EVO's have a lot of fakes floating around.

Since then I also tried to check them out using Samsung's "Magician' software (which has a tool to confirm if they are genuine or not) and it doesn't even see them so :P

Honestly I'm glad it turned out to be this and not some other esoteric issue with my new build that would have been difficult to work out