Wanted to replace cache ssd - but unable to move docker from cache to array to start the process

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi, I am trying to replace my cache ssd so I was following this post.

1)  I have disable docker and VM via the settings page.

2) I have on the "Shares"  page - set appdata, domains and system to:

• primary storage = cache_ssd (cache_ssd is the name of my current 480GB cache ssd)
  • secondary storage = array
  • mover action = Array -> cache_ssd

I tried to paste the image into this post but could not get this to work. Here is a screenshot.

https://imgur.com/a/BsJ19fw

I was of the understanding that i should manually click the move action to move all the docker/VM related files from the SSD to the main array first - this is the bit that i was stucked now.

And once the above is completed, I can then replace the current SSD with another one and the move the docker/VM back to the cache drive in reverse.

But I am stuck now in that when i click the move button, it does not move the docker/VM to the main array.

My cache_ssd shows that 52.6 GB is used out of 480 GB and if i browse into its folder, i can see the docker folders are still intact.

Here is the screenshot of the cache pool

https://imgur.com/ttP4fGD

Am looking for some insight how to do this correctly please?

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

If you want to move the files to the main array this needs to be set to cache_ssd->array.     Your current setting is what you would use later to move the file back to the cache.

Thanks itimpi.

Ahh I see what I have done wrong. I have now set the mover to move cache_ssd -> array - and if i press the "move" button it now say "Disabled - Mover is running" so I guess it should be working - however the cache ssd's data usage did not reduce and there is disk activities on the cache ssd and also on the array.

So something is still amiss here - any thoughts?

Edit: I managed to get this to work. I was pressing the Move button on the "Main" page - this does not work for me. There are no disk activities at all. But what actually work for me is by pressing the "Move" button associated with the share pages of "appdata", "domains" and "system". 

Thanks for your help in guiding me to finding a solution.

Edited by josephken