Can't access Unraid SMB Timemachine private share from MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

jfet

Hi!

I'm new to Unraid (6.12.4) since i've been a DSM/Synology user for many years now.

I've created "photos" and "music" shares (secure) on Unraid and I can access both from MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2 with the finder command+K. My Mac user credentials are the same than on Unraid or vice-versa. So no password is needed/asked.

I've also made a TimeMachine share (exposed: yes/TimeMachine, private for Unraid user "tmuser"). When trying to connect with command+K and entering smb://tmuser:*@UNRAID-IPADDRESS/TimeMachine the dialog box ask me for a password which seems to fail and the dialog box gets shaky. On the same Mac, I can successfully mount the same TimeMachine share through Windows 11 Parallels VM (with the Unraid tmuser credentials). That's telling that Unraid setup is probably right for a Windows machine.

On Unraid SMB settings, SMB is enabled as well as enhanced MacOS interoperability and WSD. All other settings are at No.

I've gone through forums, Reddit,  YouTube (SpaceInvader One and others) and decided not to modify SMB settings on Unraid according to what seems to be unnecessary on 6.12.4.

I need help to get this TimeMachine share working on my Mac.

I tried it, not the latest OS but 10.12.6 and unRAID 6.11.5 and it worked without issue.

I did try it first without the unRAID user PW set and it did not work, got the Shaky Box.

smb://testusr:@xxx.xxx.x.xx/TestShare

Then you put in the --unRAID user-- PW.. for tmuser or in my case testusr.

I do have the SMB mods in unRAID and also on the MAC side.

So unless it's something strange with Sonoma, it should work.

But I would recommend doing the SMB mods, it makes it connecting with the Mac much better.

Try this, it's pinned some where above:

Optimal SAMBA settings to get better MacOS to Unraid performance ChannelD

Just copy and paste the Mac setting, you can use Text Edit in plain text mode to create the file.

On my Mac it won't let me save it where it should go so I just save to desktop the drag it to the correct directory.

Not sure if Sonoma will let you do that, but you can also use Terminal to do it.

In unRAID it's simple, just copy and paste... edit out the comments on the right where is says <--- To Match .....

Edited by Russ Uno

I think something is wrong with SMB in Sonoma 14.1.2 because I can no longer connect to any of my SMB shares (Unraid or TrueNAS) after upgrading to it.

Correction.. My TrueNAS shares connect just fine.. it's just my Unraid shares that wont connect even know they connect just fine in windows.. I just keep getting the credentials box in Sonoma 14.1.2 even know I'm supplying the proper credentials. 

Edited by arostad
See post!

My conclusion so far,

Same MacOS 14.1.2,

with unraid = SMB private share problem

with TrueNas = SMB working fine according to @arostad without any SMB mods according to precedent post

with DSM/Synology = SMB working fine according to my actual setup that I’m trying to get on Unraid without any SMB mods

with corporate Windows File server = SMB working fine according to my work MacBook Pro on 14.1.2 on a windows domain without any SMB mods

So is it an Apple problem or an Unraid problem? 

Should I go the TrueNas way? What’s your take?

• 4 weeks later...