*SOLVED* Virtualized Unraid server on Proxmox 8.1 with UEFI motherboard and VM does not boot

I have several Debian VM's on this server that run as UEFI just fine. I am now trying to virtualize my unraid server to get it into a redundant hardware environment, but cant seem to get it to boot.

I have created the VM, pass through the USB port to the VM. If it is set to UEFI, it does not boot, just dumping me into the UEFI shell. ls fs0: in the shell shows the USB folders, and EFI/boot/boot64x.efi exists. I tried creating the USB with the image writer as well as manually, following the instructions for a manual setup, but have the same result.

If I change the VM to BIOS, it starts up fine, but since I am going to be passing through a LSI 9300 for HD's, wanted to stay in UEFI all around.

These issues show up before passing through the PCIe card at all.

If anybody has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated

Edited by Genom
5 hours ago, Genom said:

I have several Debian VM's on this server that run as UEFI just fine. I am now trying to virtualize my unraid server to get it into a redundant hardware environment, but cant seem to get it to boot.

I have created the VM, pass through the USB port to the VM. If it is set to UEFI, it does not boot, just dumping me into the UEFI shell. ls fs0: in the shell shows the USB folders, and EFI/boot/boot64x.efi exists. I tried creating the USB with the image writer as well as manually, following the instructions for a manual setup, but have the same result.

If I change the VM to BIOS, it starts up fine, but since I am going to be passing through a LSI 9300 for HD's, wanted to stay in UEFI all around.

These issues show up before passing through the PCIe card at all.

If anybody has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated

Have you tried creating startup.nsh on the root of the flash drive?

cat /boot/startup.nsh 
\EFI\boot\bootx64.efi 

If it helps anybody in the future when virtualizing with Proxmox 8.1

When starting the VM, before it gives the UEFI shell, hit Esc. It will look to lock up with some dialog at the top of the screen, but after 20-30 seconds it will go into the UEFI interface.

At this point go into the boot options and change the boot order, Make sure the USB drive is the first boot device. Save and reset, and it will startup.

• Like 1
  • Genom changed the title to *SOLVED* Virtualized Unraid server on Proxmox 8.1 with UEFI motherboard and VM does not boot