Data not being evenly written across disks

Aractor

My array is 8 disks (8x8TB), 6 data disks + 2 parity disks, and 2x4TB m.2 cache drives.

Everything seems to be working great, except that I'm noticing two of my disks are getting filled up significantly more than the others. All of my shares are assigned to use all the disks, so as far as I known nothing is explicitly being assigned to any one disk.

What can I do to fix this so all my disks are getting filled more equally? Or alternatively, can I do anything to move data around & rebalance the disks?

whnas-diagnostics-20231206-1308.zip

Looks like this kind of figured itself out? I was getting system alerts for my disk 3 filling up, and it got up to 100% utilization. But looking at it now, it's down to 85% utilization.

My disk 1 however continues to remain high at 97% utilized, while my disk5 and disk6 haven't been used at all.

image.png.9ba81df5c3ac07f7e3fdfc91a7946a94.png

20 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Have you read the online documentation on how the settings for User Shares work?    In particular you need to understand the High-Water allocation method and Split Level.   You have a very restrictive Split Level on many of your shares that can easily be forcing files to particular drives.

I can say that yes I've read it, but if I've caused these issues for myself then I clearly didn't fully understand it. 😕 I'll review the article you linked.