13900K iGPU in docker was working, is no longer working

DavidNZ
Go to solution Solved by mrhanderson,

Hi All,

I have an ASUS Proart Z790 Creator motherboard with 13900K and 3080 (3080 passed through as VM GPU).

I have been using the iGPU for docker related video tasks (Tdarr, Plex, Frigate etc) and it has been working fine till I rebooted one day and the docker containers referencing /dev/dri failed to start. There was no BIOS changes at this time, and I do not recall making any Unraid changes to cause this.

Run modprobe i915 and it doesn't return anything, cd /dev/dri and there is no directory found:

root@UNRAID:~# modprobe i915
root@UNRAID:~# cd /dev/dri
bash: cd: /dev/dri: No such file or directory
root@UNRAID:~# lsmod | grep -i 'i915'
i915                 2527232  0
drm_buddy              16384  1 i915
i2c_algo_bit           16384  1 i915
ttm                    77824  1 i915
drm_display_helper    135168  1 i915
drm_kms_helper        167936  2 drm_display_helper,i915
drm                   495616  5 drm_kms_helper,drm_display_helper,drm_buddy,i915,ttm
intel_gtt              24576  1 i915
iosf_mbi               20480  2 i915,intel_rapl_common
i2c_core               86016  7 drm_kms_helper,i2c_algo_bit,drm_display_helper,i2c_smbus,i2c_i801,i915,drm
video                  61440  1 i915
backlight              20480  4 video,drm_display_helper,i915,drm
root@UNRAID:~# modinfo i915
filename:       /lib/modules/6.1.64-Unraid/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko.xz
license:        GPL and additional rights
description:    Intel Graphics
author:         Intel Corporation
author:         Tungsten Graphics, Inc.
import_ns:      DMA_BUF

I found a post that said you need to whitelist the i915, which I do not have, however someone also said installing Intel GPU TOP will do the same thing and I have got this installed. (have not tried the old remove and reinstall though) 

I also noticed at the same time that all fan speeds, motherboard and CPU temps were also gone from the system temp menu and dashboard displays.

BIOS GPU is set to Auto (as there is no option for onboard GPU to be the primary, but this is how it has always been) And there is a TV connected by HDMI to the motherboard, so as there is an output to activate.

Any ideas or things to check? Would really love to get the iGPU processing going again! Diagnostics attached.

unraid-diagnostics-20231207-1718.zip

Edited by DavidNZ

I had the issue before I upgraded to 6.12.6, so rolling back to 6.12.4 wasn't really an option (short of a new USB, which I really didn't feel like doing)

However I gave the VFIO config recreation a go as I am only passing through the 3080 and wow, that worked! I now have the iGPU going again, thanks mrhanderson for finding that thread!

I still have the issue with the System Temps not showing, but they are not as important as the AIO is auto controlled based on coolant temp, so I will probably live with out that

• Like 1