Motherboard advice.

eggs

Hi there. I've never tried building anything like this before, so I'm hoping some of you experienced folks can keep me right!

I'm away to start building my unraid server, and have acquired an antec Titan 550 server case with truepower 550 watt power supply. I'm trying to keep costs as low as possible, and wondered if this mobo was up to the task?  

Intel Server Board SE7501BR2 - motherboard - extended ATX - Socket 604 - E7501 - Socket 604

I'd be looking to fit a pair of intel xeon 2.66 ghz processors, with probably 2 gig ram. Eventually I'd be looking to run 11 or 12 2tb drives in this set up using the pci-x slots with a pair of sata 8 drive cards.

Can you forsee any problems with this plan?  I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks for your time.

Are you going to buy the 2 xeon processors and ram? how much are they going to cost compared to like a sempron cpu and board or equivalent intel board and celeron cpu. (sempron and board proabably around $100 to $150) Will save you some power in the long run, can use PCIe x16 instead of the older PCI-x slot.

For a few bucks might be false economy.

Josh

That's a tough one.

If you already had the board, CPU and memory, I would suggest trying it out.

If you are about to purchase it, I would most likely stay away from it.

The reasons I would stay away:

It has no SATA. you would have to right off the bat buy a $100+ PCIx sata adapter just to get some drives up and running.

It is pretty much obsolete technology at this point. getting upgrades for it can be expensive. if at all..

It is  going to most likely be used with lots of datacenter hours on it. It might die soon.

It is dual CPU, I am pretty sure unRAID only supports one physical CPU.

This board is probably a hot running power hungry beast (will be like a space heater wasting electricity).

It is a huge form factor so it will need a large case.

there is no guarantee all the drivers for this board are in unraid.

Investing in PCIx technology at  this point is not the best idea in my opinion. if your board or even a pcix card dies in a year or 2, you might not be able to get a replacement.

in the end, it will probably save you more money and time to buy current hardware. it would then allow you to get easy replacement parts in the event of failure.

Thanks for the responses.  So are there any cheap mobos in particular that you would recommend?  The array of choices out there is bewildering to a newb like me!  The more painless the better.  Is there a 'defacto standard' mobo for folks building an unraid on a small budget?

First...is the Antec TruePower 550 a single 12V rail? (I think it is the "2 Rail", but noticed reference to a 2, 3 or 4 rail).  If not a single 12V rail, you will be limited to the number of hard drives on that PSU.

Check out Raj's Designs

Other MB choices..

Biostar A880+

ASRock 880GM-LE

Asus M4A88T-M LE

Asus M4A785-M

or if available in a store near you...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5235299&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=dlUPo6w0KBI-BzdysCgrewWjnWE2RQTzlA

It is a dual rail, but I can easily swap out the PSU for something else and hawk the old one on fleabay as it came free with the case.  The case I have is an Antec 550 titan, which can take up to extended ATX boards if that helps? Ideally, I'd like to end up with 12x 2TB drives, so I don't want to start down the road with a PSU that cannot handle that many.  Sorry for the spooner requests, but I don't want to end up spending a wad of cash on stuff that is no use.

You'll need another PSU. Review this thread..http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12219.0

Here are two that will be more than sufficient.  The 500 gives a little more headroom. If you go with all "green" (ie not 7200rpm) drives...the 430V2 will be sufficient.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

To obtain a 12 drive array in the Antec 550 case...

you will also need a 5x3 drive cage, in addition to using the external 3.5 adapter supplied

See here for good choices:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12405.0

Additionally, you will need a either a 8 port AOC-SASLP-MV8 (14 ports available including 6 port MB)

or a 4-port + 2-port card (12 ports available including 6 port MB)

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12404.0

I would recommend starting with unRAID 4.7.  Beta is beta, while the new unRAID 5.0 looks very impressive... better to test out your hardware on a known release.

Just a another quick question before I order my new PSU.  The PSU that came with my case has its fan located on the back alonf with the power cable socket etc, but the corsair you recommend has its fan mounted on the top of the unit, which would be pointing at the top of the case.  Does this mean it'll require me to cut out a hole for the fan on top of the case, or does it pull air through the grille beside the power inlet?  Maybe a daft question, but I dont want to start carving up my new case!

Just a another quick question before I order my new PSU.  The PSU that came with my case has its fan located on the back alonf with the power cable socket etc, but the corsair you recommend has its fan mounted on the top of the unit, which would be pointing at the top of the case.  Does this mean it'll require me to cut out a hole for the fan on top of the case, or does it pull air through the grille beside the power inlet?  Maybe a daft question, but I dont want to start carving up my new case!

That is an intake fan, so it is designed to bring air into the PSU to cool it, and exhaust out the back.  You can mount the PSU with the fan pointing either up OR down, depending on your needs.

Archived