Upgraiding from 6.11.5 to 6.12.6 and not sure where to start...

mattw

I have my old server running 6.11.5 forever, running fine but really feel like I should upgrade to 6.12.  I have been reading forum posts until almost blind, I have to assume that the vast majority of the complaints are user/installed stuff generated.  When I run Update Assistant, everything comes back green, I have backups of my important stuff and have a solid install running XFS formatted drives and BTRFS formatted cache.  My docker is set to ipvlan currently.

Should I shutdown all of my dockers before doing the upgrade?  Should I stop the array before upgrading? 

My backup server is new, running on old hardware.  But, is running 6.12.6 flawlessly.

Thanks Matt

I haven't personally had to this upgrade but this is the advice that was posted on reddit:

UnRaid —UPDATE—DO THIS ALWAYS!!!

make a full backup of the boot usb prior to performing the update by going to MAIN > Flash > Flash backup take a screenshot of the main page where it shows what drive is in what slot in the array and pools optionally do a appdata backup and backing up of your virtual machines using the appdata backup plugin and the vmbackup plugin

install fix common problems plugin as well as fully update all plugins that are installed

go to tools > upgrade assistant and run tests (stable branch) and address anything shown in red

shut off all docker containers and then go to settings > docker and turn enable docker to no to effectively turning off docker

shut off all virtual machines and then go to settings > vm manager and turn enable vms to no to effectively turning off vm service

go to settings > disk settings and turn enable auto start to no to stop the array from auto turning on at start of unraid optional but suggest unless you know you need ipv6: go to settings > network settings and change network protocol to ipv4 only as 6.12 has been having problems with ipv6 for quite a few people

stop the array on the main page near the bottom and confirm it says array stopped in the bottom taskbar

perform the upgrade at tools > update os and reboot when it says to reboot, if you have any driver plugins wait like 5 minutes before rebooting after the upgrade finishes

once it reboots, access unraid ui again optional but suggested: go to settings > global share settings and set permit exclusive shares to yes

start the array on the main page near the bottom

go to shares page and look over each shares settings to make sure they are set how you want them to be

go to settings > docker and click advanced view, and change Docker custom network type to ipvlan from macvlan and apply the setting change or confirm it's already set to ipvlan

in settings > docker turn enable docker to yes to effectively start docker service, then confirm on the docker page that dockers are booting up or wait until they all boot your choice

go to settings > vm manager and turn enable vms to yes to effectively start the vm service, then confirm on the vms page that a vm can start (if you have vms that is)

go to settings > disk settings and turn enable auto start back to yes so the array autostarts on boot (only if you wish this to be the case)

enjoy the new version :)

• Upvote 1