Proper way to install latest Win11 build VM?

bonzovt

I've been having issues getting my long running Win11 VM to install the latest 2023-11 and 2023-12 Cumulative Update properly.  No matter what I tried, it wouldn't install and recently started getting BSOD's.  So in the meantime I reverted to a backup from a little while back and it is more stable, but still unable to run that latest update.

I built a new VM from scratch to start standing up a new fresh image, but no matter what I try I don't seem to be having any luck getting an initial install to work.  I've downloaded the latest build ISO and initially got a "this pc doesn't meet the minimum requirements" but then changed the Machine value from i440fx-7.2 to Q35-72 and got into the Win installer.  Loaded the virtio drivers, selected the disk and it copied files, got to a point where it said it needed a reboot.  After reboot now I'm just getting a BSOD reboot loop: Blue Screen 0xc0000021a - Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart

Is it possible that with the latest Win11 build there is some specific VM configuration that is required to get Win11 to run properly?