[Solved] Disk died during parity build .. what to do???

So I just built a new server.  

I pre-cleared all of the drives (including the parity disk).

I then assigned all of my data drives (didn't assign parity yet)

I copied all of my data from external disks onto my new data disks.

Then I assigned my parity drive and began building parity for the first time.

During the parity build, apparently one of my disks died ... which was amusing because my syslog is now 2GB worth of the following:

Oct 4 15:35:30 media kernel: handle_stripe read error: 2751420928/6, count: 1

Oct 4 15:35:30 media kernel: md: disk6 read error

Oct 4 15:35:30 media kernel: handle_stripe read error: 2751420936/6, count: 1

Oct 4 15:35:30 media kernel: handle_stripe read error: 2751420944/6, count: 1

Anyway, I've stopped my array and unassigned the failed disk.  

I plan to run my array without the failed disk for now.  However, I don't trust that my parity was built correctly given that this drive was in the process of failing.  

When I restart my array, how can I force unRAID to ignore the current parity and force it to rebuild parity from scratch with the disks that I'm leaving in the array?  I read a little bit about "restoring the array" but I don't seem to have a button for that.

Additionally, it seems that even though I've unassigned disk6 from my array, my main window still shows a disk6 ... just labeled as "Not installed".  How can I go back to a 5 drive config?

Guess I'm not quite sure what to do as I didn't expect a disk to fail during a parity build!

Perfect, thanks ohlwiler.  I ran initconfig which blue-balled all of my drives.  When I started the array, a parity sync started right up.  Exactly what I wanted ... only 556 minutes left  ::)  I'm assuming this parity sync will completely overwrite any parity sync that happened previously.

Hopefully no more disks fail during the parity build so I can get my array into a protected state.  And hopefully newegg gets me a replacement disk soon.

Perfect, thanks ohlwiler.  I ran initconfig which blue-balled all of my drives.  When I started the array, a parity sync started right up.  Exactly what I wanted ... only 556 minutes left  ::)  I'm assuming this parity sync will completely overwrite any parity sync that happened previously.

Hopefully no more disks fail during the parity build so I can get my array into a protected state.  And hopefully newegg gets me a replacement disk soon.

Worth buying an extra drive for situations like this :)

Archived