Precleared 5TB, Removed Smart Failed/But Good 4TB, Replaced With Precleared 5TB, Rebuild 0 Errors, Red X on different 5TB drive!?

bsim

Scratching my head on this one...unraid fluke?

Dual parity 12TB, 6.12.6, all XFS drives, monthly checks, 0 errors on last parity check.

1. I precleared a 5TB that I've had as a hot spare for my array, 0 errors, shows in unassigned devices.

2. Removed Smart Failed/But Still Good 4TB from array (10 Uncorrectables)

3. Replaced With Pre-cleared 5TB

4. Started array with Rebuild, 0 Errors on rebuild

5. Red X a different 5TB drive!?

****The drive does have several uncorrectables****

Will a drive red X and emulate if it has too many uncorrectables? And not show any errors in the rebuild?

Edited by bsim
  • bsim changed the title to Precleared 5TB, Removed Smart Failed/But Good 4TB, Replaced With Precleared 5TB, Rebuild 0 Errors, Red X on different 5TB drive!?
1 hour ago, bsim said:

Will a drive red X and emulate if it has too many uncorrectables? And not show any errors in the rebuild?

since you have dual parity the system will be able to successfully handle 2 'failed/disabled' drives - the one being rebuilt and the one with a new red 'x' although you are not protected against another drive having problems until the current rebuild completes.

1 hour ago, bsim said:

But will a drive be flagged/emulated by unraid (Red X) because of too many uncorrectables? Or does there have to be something else wrong with the drive?

A drive only gets the red ‘x’ when a write to it fails.    This can be for all sorts of reasons some of which can be external to the drive.