Swap parity with a higher capacity disk

netall
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hello,

I have read the documentation and checked a few how-to videos on YT, but I want to be sure I'm not screwing anything up.

So, right now I have an array with a single drive parity, all disks are 8TB.

I have bought a 16TB new drive to replace the current parity disk - thinking to the future expansions, too.

I want to add the actual parity as a disk in the array - so I'll move from 4x8TB (1parity+3disks) to 1x16TB(parity) + 4x8TB (disks).

They way I see it should be done is to add the 16TB as a 2nd parity, let it rebuild the array and, when it finishes, remove the 8TB parity and add it as a disk in the array.

Is my approach correct and safe? Or should I take something else into consideration?

Thanks a lot!

• Solution

You approach would work, but at the end you would have parity2 but no parity1 drive.  Some people prefer to not be in that situation..  

Another option is to replace the 8TB parity drive with the 16TB one and let Unraid build parity on that.    Keep the old parity drive  intact until that finishes just in case something goes wrong.   When you have rebuilt parity on the 16TB drive follow the standard process for adding a new drive to the array to add the old 8TB drive as a data drive.

• Thanks 1