Build advice

Hey there,

Trying to consolidate a number of old servers in a good enough build that can handle everything.

Currently I have:

- 1 x microserver gen8 for firewall, seedbox

- 1 x microserver gen8 for unraid, 28tb (2 disks)

- 1 x microserver gen10 with a LVM array, 24tb (4 disks)

- 1 x nuc 5th gen for plex and several other tools

Most of these have been bought for customers and once decomissioned have landed here. Now I'm trying to reduce my power bill a bit and removing old stuff.

So between my stuff found an old pc, i5-760 without a heatsink, the case though, it would be pretty good for my build, it's a cooler master advance 2, it has 6 3.5" bays and 4 5.25" bays, which I guess I could convert to 3.5" in the future.

So motherboard, I have not found current gen motherboards with more than 4 SATA that won't be over $250 (I'm in Ecuador, availability is different over here)

But, I just found this for a good price

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Q570M-D3H-rev-10

That paired with a Core i5 10400F and 32GB of DDR4 will set me around $350.

Case has a Corsair 650W PSU that should be enough for the time being.

Questions:

- How good would be the i5-10400F for transcoding? am I missing much compared with a current gen equivalent? (with regards with quicksync)

- What do you think of the motherboard, I like it, has dual GBe, 6 SATA ports and 2 NVME ports, also enough PCIe ports to expand my array in the future

Would this save some power? server is mostly idle... except for the firewall which wouldn't require any spinning media I have seen each of the microservers idle at 35W, so I guess it should.

Would passthrough work? I have a 1080ti sitting in a drawer, would be cool for a dedicated sunshine/moonlight VM. My main PC is usually busy and I have had my brothers fire a game while I'm working, so having a dedicated VM for that would be nice for me.

3 hours ago, fr500 said:

- How good would be the i5-10400F for transcoding? am I missing much compared with a current gen equivalent? (with regards with quicksync)

- What do you think of the motherboard, I like it, has dual GBe, 6 SATA ports and 2 NVME ports, also enough PCIe ports to expand my array in the future

The "F" CPUs have no iGPUs - so no QuickSync there.

Don't see anything wrong with the motherboard.