Server Build for Plex and VM AI Generation

crspangenberg

Hello everyone, I’ve been using Unraid for about six years now with the following hardware from 2013. 

Intel Core i7-4770K

GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD4H LGA 1150 Intel Z87

16GB RAM

4 - 4TB Data Drives

1 - 4TB Parity Drive

1 - 2TB SSD Cache Drive

I predominantly use my server for Plex (which I share with about a dozen friends), homebridge, and a Windows 11 VM.

One of my main gripes with the current server is the lack of transcoding abilities. I continually get errors via Plex that my server isn’t fast enough. And really that is only an issue when I am not home. Locally the server has performed near flawlessly for as long as I have been running Unraid.

My goal with the new server is two-fold. One I’d like to future proof my Plex transcoding abilities including 4K content (we use Apple TVs in our house) but friends and family use anything from Roku, Samsung TVs, and Fire TVs.

I’d like to be able to transcode my media into newer more space saving formats as they are imported onto my server without bogging the system down too tremendously.

I would also like to like to use a GPU within my windows VM. I know my current processor doesn’t support IOMMU, and that has been another reason pushing me to upgrade.

I mainly use my windows VM for medial tasks, but as of lately I have been getting into AI image generations. It would be nice too if I could run Fusion360 via the VM. I would also like recommendations on a graphics card that will perform well and also not break the bank. It’s been a few years since I have built a rig and I got my wife’s blessing to “future proof” hopefully I can get another 10 years out of my machine as it hangs on the wall currently.

My budget now is between $1-$2,000. 

I have been eyeing some of the following parts, but to be honest I’m not much of a gamer and I’m not sure if any of this would be overkill for my intended uses.

CPU - is this overkill? Would I be better off with a previous Gen i5?

Intel® Core™ i9-14900K New Gaming Desktop Processor 24 cores (8 P-cores + 16 E-cores) with Integrated Graphics - Unlocked https://a.co/d/

Or

Intel® Core™ i5-14600K New Gaming Desktop Processor 14 cores (6 P-cores + 8 E-cores) with Integrated Graphics - Unlocked https://a.co/d/e0xEDXK

Motherboard - Open to ideas, within the next year I will have 2.5GB fiber to my house. I currently use a Ubiquity UDM Pro for my networking. And I would like to maximize the networking throughput. 

I have had good experiences with Gigabyte products (last two builds used Gigabyte Motherboards and Graphics Cards)

RAM - I have found that 16GB is not enough. Is 64GB adequate? Or is 128GB necessary? DDR4 / DDR5?

Drives - I would like to bump up my parity to 2. I am not opposed to utilizing the 4TB drives but they are aging. And I wouldn’t mind some additional storage. I am currently at 75% capacity across all drives.

I believe 8TB drives would be adequate and I’m not opposed to using refurbished enterprise drives.

I would like a dedicated Plex Cache Drive, and a systems cache drive. The 2TB SSD from my previous system can be either or.

Graphics Card - Again not sure if the graphics card will come into play for Plex or not, but I am hoping this would be adequate to run Fooocus and have quick image generation.

ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 3060 Twin Edge OC 12GB GDDR6 192-bit 15 Gbps PCIE 4.0 Graphics Card, IceStorm 2.0 Cooling, Active Fan Control, Freeze Fan Stop ZT-A30600H-10M https://a.co/d/evE4wQT

Thank you very much in advance and I greatly appreciate the input.

-Clay

Edited by crspangenberg
Spelling Mistaks / Formatting
  • 1 month later...

Have you completed this build yet? I am in a similar situation. Not sure if I want to use a 14600k 14700k or 14900k. Would likely undervolted. I was going to go with a 14500 but saw they actually are using more power than the 14600k due to voltage settings. I think the 14500 is based on the 12th gen die. Looking at a w680 ace mobo and 64gb ddr5 ECC to start. 

• 2 months later...

I currently build a 14th Gen Intel 14900, AORUS Masters X z790, 96GB DDR5 5600mhz RAM (2 sticks) that way I can max out the ram if needed later on as I use Plex for RAM trasncoding. You should be fine and have that future proof.  Also I picked the none K version to keep the temp down as the maxed is 65watts.  No need to undervolt.  I don't use ECC ram as I did not find any compatible RAM out there.  Using Noctua DH12S for cooling on a Meshy 2 Xl case with 5 Noctua industrial fans.