Cannot boot server - broken USB? Need help please!

MaTi
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi all,

My Unraid server does no longer boot, after trying to reboot it last night.

I was trying to update one of my docker containers, like I always do, but it downloaded 0 bytes and the app (Plex) would no longer start as a result of that with no further errors. Also when tryign to view the logging it seemed empty.

Weird, so I figured 'lets try a reboot'.

Then nothing ever came back online anymore, so I checked with a monitor what was going on.

When booting it hangs halfway with errors on the screen.

Now, my linux knowledge is limited, but I 'think' it is trying to read content from the USB stick, which is failing.

1. Is this correct?

if no, please enlighten me :) 

If yes, then I guess I will have to replace the USB stick by creating a new one.

I then would like to do an attempt to see if I can recover any config files from the broken USB stick and manually copy them to a new stick. Which files/folders would be important? Also, I don't think these data are on the USB stick but on my hard drives. However, how do I ensure that if I make a new USB stick, Unraid will be using existing configs for docker and all its containers? (primarily the Plex config etc is important to me).

Thanks for all help, appreciated!

167bdd89-6330-45c7-b3b2-d767f1896413.jpg

Edited by MaTi
additions

@itimpithanks! Will try that this afternoon. (something with work and being busy due to end of the year :) ).

Just one last thing Id like to check with you for now though:

Should I still trust this current USB stick? Would it make more sense for me to go buy a new one, flash it with the normal Unraid installer and manually copy the config folder from the old/corrupted USB stick to it?

So, I tried just that as I had many weird issues trying to copy the /config folder from the USB stick.

Went and bought a new one, which didn't work (usb3) as it wouldn't boot. Found an old 4GB one somewhere in a closet and used that. Copied back the contents of my old /config folder and got all up and running again (after also transfering the license to thenew usb).

Thanks for your help!!