No data from Parity-check/re-build after replace the faild drive

Hi, 

one of the drive was failded and unmountedable. i did xfs_repair -n, it still shows same status. then i start rebuild with a new drive. 

However after 14hrs re-build/parity-check DIsk5 . there are 11.801.419 Writes to the Disk, but there is no data available any where.

Could you plesae kindly help with that. it is realy frastrucated for me. 

image.thumb.png.46fe24c48a25af52b92d46ae673d54e2.png

tower-diagnostics-20231222-1436_disk5 failed.zip tower-diagnostics-20231223-2201_after_rebuild.zip

1 minute ago, NickHuang said:

Oh No...... is that mean. all data is gone......

why did you format the drive?    Running xfs_repair without the -n parameter was the  correct thing to do to make the drive mountable again with its data intact.

Now that you have done the format, it is possible that disk recovery software such as UFS Explorer on Windows can recover the data but it is not certain.

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

why did you format the drive?    Running xfs_repair without the -n parameter was the  correct thing to do to make the drive mountable again with its data intact.

Now that you have done the format, it is possible that disk recovery software such as UFS Explorer on Windows can recover the data but it is not certain.

I managed to connected the failed/unmountedable disk is Unassigned disk,  run the xfs_repair -L and  successful mounted. 

I am copying the file from that to unsigned disk to Disk 4 now. 

Fingercross.

But is my parity rebuid failed becasue i only have 1 Parity disk? shall i get another Parity disk for this case?

4 hours ago, NickHuang said:

But is my parity rebuid failed becasue i only have 1 Parity disk? shall i get another Parity disk for this case?

Not sure I understand the question?    I thought the rebuild worked but you made the mistake of running a format which is why you ended up with an empty drive.

1 parity disk handles 1 drive failing, whereas 2 allows for 2 failing.

8 hours ago, itimpi said:

Not sure I understand the question?    I thought the rebuild worked but you made the mistake of running a format which is why you ended up with an empty drive.

1 parity disk handles 1 drive failing, whereas 2 allows for 2 failing.

Here is the sequence:

1. replace uncountable drive with new drive 

2.format new drive

3. add the new new drive to array disk 5 as replacement 

4 start array and run parity rebuild 

5. no data available after 14hr rebuild

Lucky I run xfs_repair -L and mount the drive again.

my biggest concern is No data shows on my disk after parity check/rebuild. Any thing related to  my format activity? 

Did I get something wrong in my process recovery?

Just now, NickHuang said:

Here is the sequence:

1. replace uncountable drive with new drive 

2.format new drive

3. add the new new drive to array disk 5 as replacement 

4 start array and run parity rebuild 

5. no data available after 14hr rebuild

Lucky I run xfs_repair -L and mount the drive again.

my biggest concern is No data shows on my disk after parity check/rebuild. Any thing related to  my format activity? 

Did I get something wrong in my process recovery?

you should not have done step 2) as you never do a format as part of a data recovery operation.   I think you were formatting the emulated drive rather than the physical one.?  This created an empty file system on the emulated drive and updated parity to reflect this.   The rebuild process then rebuilt this empty file system as the rebuild process makes a physical drive match the emulated one.

21 minutes ago, itimpi said:

you should not have done step 2) as you never do a format as part of a data recovery operation.   I think you were formatting the emulated drive rather than the physical one.?  This created an empty file system on the emulated drive and updated parity to reflect this.   The rebuild process then rebuilt this empty file system as the rebuild process makes a physical drive match the emulated one.

Yeah, that make sense to me, I do select format emulated disk option under start array option....... 

Too be hornesty, that option is quite confusion and attempted for new user to click...... and the whole recoery process isn't quite clear at all.

But i learnt my lesson in hard way. lucky not data was lost.

Thank you so much for support!