New Unraid install, new drives, CRC and array read errors on one HDD

fredskis
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello, 

I'm a relatively new Unraid user but generally pretty knowledgeable with computing and servers. 

I have been migrating my data from my existing working array to Unraid. 

I bought 4* new 22TB WD Red NAS Pro drives and installed them into my new Unraid server. I left one out as it will be parity once all the transfers are complete and added 3* of them to a new unRAID array. I started copying data over, emptying out drives on original array running on old server, then shutting it down along with the Unraid server, moving HDDs across, adding to array and resuming copying process. 

My new Unraid server is using 2* "9207-8i" HBAs from eBay, which came with 2* SFF-8087 to 4*SATA cables each. 

After about 20-30TB copied across, one of the drives was recording 199 UDMA CRC errors in SMART. I ended up moving this to the other HBA and different cable as I moved the HDDs to their "final" positions. 

Things were fine for a few days and now the same disk, on a different HBA and cable, is reporting Read errors and it seems to go half-offline and the array in a weird state where the user shares are no longer visible and I can't view any disk data to verify SMART reports without stopping and restarting the array. 

This has happened twice now in the last 24 hours. I downloaded diagnostic logs before restarting the array the last time, and after restarting the array, I downloaded SMART reports for the affected disk. 

Does this point to a bad (new) drive?

define-diagnostics-20231226-1207.zip define-smart-20231226-1228.zip

I'm home now after 2 days away for Christmas with family. The two errors happened to the same disk with different cables on different controllers. 

I will try connect it directly to the motherboard via the onboard SlimSAS connector, got one of those cables just in case too.

Should have it set up that way in a couple of hours then will monitor it. Another 10TB left to transfer from the original 160TB array then I can add parity drive and see what happens 😬

Edited by fredskis
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

No issues on the SlimSAS connector. I have, however, had another couple of read errors on other drives using these provided cables. I went and bought 4x sets of these StarTech cables and they seem to be working wonderfully. 

StarTech Mini-SAS to SATA Cable, 1x SFF-8087 Plug, 4x SATA Female - 50 cm - Umart.com.au

Only the third parity rebuild in as many weeks 😅 - at least it's about to complete. 

Edited by fredskis
adding anchor link