Preclear via Putty-Does the Preclear continue after Putty computer reboots?

I am pre-clearing a couple of hard drives via Putty/telnet. During the middle of the pre-clear, I inadvertently re-booted the computer that Putty is installed on (not the Unraid server).

-Does the pre-clearing continue on the Unraid server despite the fact that the Putty session is no longer open?

-If so, can I log back into the Unraid server via Putty and determine where I'm at re the pre-clear? If so, what commands do I use?

Thanks much.

I am pre-clearing a couple of hard drives via Putty/telnet. During the middle of the pre-clear, I inadvertently re-booted the computer that Putty is installed on (not the Unraid server).

-Does the pre-clearing continue on the Unraid server despite the fact that the Putty session is no longer open?

-If so, can I log back into the Unraid server via Putty and determine where I'm at re the pre-clear? If so, what commands do I use?

Thanks much.

When the telnet session ends, anything running in that session ends.  Unless you were using "screen", a nifty little tool that will allow you to run multiple resumable telnet sessions, your preclears were terminated.  You will have to restart.

Please excuse my ignorance here but when I type "screen -r", I get the following:

"There are several suitable screens on:

1053.pts-0.UR1  (Attached)

943.pds-0.UR1    (Detached)

31803.pts-0.UR1 (Detached)

24340.pts-0.UR1 (Detached)

33282.pts-0.UR1 (Detached)

26335.pts-0.UR1 (Detached)

11645.pts-0.UR1 (Detached)

3480.pts-0.UR1  (Detached)   

Type "screen [-d] -r [pid.]tty.host" to resume one of them."

What command should I type?

Thanks.

It appears you've started several screen sessions on your unRAID server so you need to go through each one to find out which one is running the preclear script.

For example, screen -r 943.pds-0.UR1 will get you to the first detached screen session.  If nothing is running in there I'd say you should "exit" that screen session.  Then do the same for each screen process until you have just the one running that contains the preclear session.

I'm a new user here but the way I've been running preclears is to telnet to my server with putty, start a screen session, start a preclear, enter ctrl-a then ctrl-d to leave the screen session running in the background, and then exit the putty telnet session (or not).  I only start one screen process and if I want to preclear more than one drive I follow the above flow but instead of ctrl-a/ctrl-d I enter ctrl-a/c to create another process within which to start another preclear.

Hope that makes sense.?

Please excuse my ignorance here but when I type "screen -r", I get the following:

"There are several suitable screens on:

1053.pts-0.UR1   (Attached)

943.pds-0.UR1    (Detached)

31803.pts-0.UR1 (Detached)

24340.pts-0.UR1 (Detached)

33282.pts-0.UR1 (Detached)

26335.pts-0.UR1 (Detached)

11645.pts-0.UR1 (Detached)

3480.pts-0.UR1  (Detached)   

Type "screen [-d] -r [pid.]tty.host" to resume one of them."

What command should I type?

Thanks.

Looks like you started multiple screen sessions.  You may not have meant to do that.

When there is more than one, you need to enter the string listed to resume a session, for example: 

screen -r 3480.pts-0.UR1

As you resume each one, if it is an inactive telnet session, enter the "exit" command and the session will close.  Obviously, if it is a preclear running, leave it alone (pressing Ctrl-A d will "detach" the session and leave it running).

The first one listed says that the screen session is attached.  You may have to research other screen options (enter "screen -h" and you will see the options).  "screen -d" seems like it might be what you want to detach an attached screen session, but I have never used it.

HERE is a link to a screen manpage that you might want to read to better understand how to use it. 

• 3 years later...

Archived