New Rig + NooB Questions

***Please excuse re-post if you saw this in lounge as i was told to move my post here***

Hello Forum,

First off, I want to thank LimeTech Customer service +1!!  Thanks, the Pro license will come in handy.. Wink

Here is my build, I wont waste time posting the specs here as they are on my page with photos:

(Disable slideshow with button in upper left to see specs)

Shares???

Currently I have 4 drives in my array; three 1.5TB WD C. Greens and a 2TB parity..  Most files that will be added are HiDef BluRay rips, Music and Pictures.  The majority of the space will be used by movie files.

If I just set up one media share that attaches all drives carrying movie files with High-Water allocation, which split level should I use?  Does it matter that unRAID determines where movies files go?  Honestly, I could care less which drive any files are placed as long as the parity drive keeps them safe, but lot's of pro's have personal preferences based on the type file and how they intend to use there server...but why?

If I want to use my unRAID rig to serve files to friends remotely, what is the best unRAID compatible software to use?

Lastly.. Could any of you point me to a link that describes the best ways to improve my network performance using both 10/100 and 10/100/1000 hardware.  Currently, I have the 10/100 Verizon fios router so i can only get Gig speeds to one area of the house, of course i chose the HTPC media area.  But... I also have a WD TV LiveHUB in the bedroom and the kids have the WD Live Plus.  Streaming files 30GB and above in size wont be a problem at the HTPC + unRAID station with a Gig switch between them, but the other two will only be pulling 11-11.5MB/s max which will fail to pipe out enough bandwidth for my larger files using traditional streaming.  Is anyone using TVersity successfully with unRAID or is there any other software out there that can deliver the larger files to my other stations seamlessly?

I had lots of questions during my build process that I posted in this forum and the responses where invaluable!!  Thanks again unRAID forum..  I am certainly indebted!!

Sorry, I moved your thread again...I think General Support is the right place for this one.  Nice server!

If I just set up one media share that attaches all drives carrying movie files with High-Water allocation, which split level should I use?  Does it matter that unRAID determines where movies files go?  Honestly, I could care less which drive any files are placed as long as the parity drive keeps them safe, but lot's of pro's have personal preferences based on the type file and how they intend to use there server...but why?

The split level depends on how your files are organized.  I use a split level of 6 for my movies, because some of my movies have several nested folders containing subtitle files, extras, etc.  Your movies are probably organized differently, and so you probably need to use a different split level.

If I want to use my unRAID rig to serve files to friends remotely, what is the best unRAID compatible software to use?

You can accomplish this with a good router and by setting up a VPN.

Lastly.. Could any of you point me to a link that describes the best ways to improve my network performance using both 10/100 and 10/100/1000 hardware.  Currently, I have the 10/100 Verizon fios router so i can only get Gig speeds to one area of the house, of course i chose the HTPC media area.  But... I also have a WD TV LiveHUB in the bedroom and the kids have the WD Live Plus.  Streaming files 30GB and above in size wont be a problem at the HTPC + unRAID station with a Gig switch between them, but the other two will only be pulling 11-11.5MB/s max which will fail to pipe out enough bandwidth for my larger files using traditional streaming.  Is anyone using TVersity successfully with unRAID or is there any other software out there that can deliver the larger files to my other stations seamlessly?

I don't know of any software that will solve this problem, but what you can do is get a second gigabit router and put it in between your FIOS router and the rest of your network.  As long as the connection between your unRAID server and your HTPC/WDTV is Cat5e or better and uses only Gigabit switches, then you should be able to stream just about anything.  If your FIOS router is the weak point then it seems like that's a pretty easy bit of hardware to eliminate.  TRENDnet gigabit switches routinely go on sale for $20 - 25 on Newegg, and Cat6 cable is cheap at Monoprice.

I don't know of any software that will solve this problem, but what you can do is get a second gigabit router and put it in between your FIOS router and the rest of your network.

Thanks for the compliment on server!! 

VPN...I was afraid of that.  Okay, I'll have to read up as I have no clue how to set up a VPN!!

Your info on Split level is still confusing but it would help if I found out what "Split Level" is first.... ???;), so I'll have to read-up.  Maybe you have a link whic will explain the different "Split levels" and their features!

Your suggestion will not work for me as I am using MoCA networking(ethernet over coaxial cable.)  So, the other two areas that I was referring to are not wired traditionally as you would picture it.  I have MoCA bridges connecting these devices to router which is clear across my home. So untill gig routers have coaxial inputs for networking i'm stuck untill Verizon provides us with Gigabit routers..  Thanks for all the suggestions!!   

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my rig up and running. Just transferring files over the network now. Just a little confused on split levels.

Lets say I have multiple HDS, with the shares: Photos, Music, Videos

Within those shares i have multiple folders, ex. videos ------> TV SHOWS

------->Movies

etc..

Do i just assign split level 1 for videos?

The split levels do take a little to get your head around, but essentially, they allow you to control where your files and folders end up when a share spans multiple disks.  It took me several times of reading the above link, and ultimately TESTING it so I could see exactly what it does, to get the full concept in my head.  Now that you've started to transfer files, look at the individual disk shares to see where your files are going within the hierarchy.

In my opinion, the split level is determined by the overall hierarchy of ALL sub-folders underneath a given share and multiple folders underneath a share should have similar hierarchy to maintain the best organization.  Otherwise, you can end up with your files spread over your disks in a way that you don't want.  Note that it won't be problematic for unRAID to show you those files, but it could create a somewhat messy organization at the disk level if you choose the wrong split level.

In your example, split level 1 would force all your media to a single disk, which probably isn't desirable if you want to span multiple disks.  If you have a share "Videos" and underneath that, "TV shows" and "Movies" and underneath that, folders for each movie/tv show...I would probably choose split level 2 so the TV show/movie folder's files will spread across multiple disks, but each unique movie/tv show folder (and subsequent files) will remain on a single disk.  For your photography share, you may want to force all of your files to a single disk, so split level 1 would be appropriate.

Hope that helps.  Just keep reading it, test it and see the results across the disk shares...and it will make sense.

The split levels do take a little....

Hey thanks, I kind of get it now.  I was under the assumption that split level 1 would just span it across all disks.

Is it advisable to set up the shares as I am currently doing?  Just have 4 main shares and sub directories within those shares?  If I put all my shares on split level 2 (Photos, Music, Video), can I assume all those shares will just span across all the available hard drives in my server?

The split levels do take a little....

Hey thanks, I kind of get it now.  I was under the assumption that split level 1 would just span it across all disks.

Is it advisable to set up the shares as I am currently doing?  Just have 4 main shares and sub directories within those shares?  If I put all my shares on split level 2 (Photos, Music, Video), can I assume all those shares will just span across all the available hard drives in my server?

Directories will split across disks down to level 2.