Configuration Advice - Leveraging Old TrueNAS System w/UnRAID

Happy new year...

I switched to UnRAID from TrueNAS some time ago...

I'm looking for advice at leveraging the old TrueNAS system which is still very adequate for most tasks.  My goal is to implement a backup strategy utilizing the EEC memory and hardware of the TrueNAS machine to keep a separate snapshot of the shares from my main UnRAID system... 

I have the Unassigned Devices plugin installed, and TrueNAS Scale is up and running on the network.  My main question is whether you all have ideas about the best way to do this... specifically, which system to push or pull from?  Should I mount a share on TrueNAS to UnRAID, or vice-versa?  Does anyone have ideas about which system might have the best utility to SYNC the shares between the two?

Essentially, I'd like to use something like RSYNC to periodically sync an UnRAID share to a TrueNAS dataset.  Then let TrueNAS make periodic snapshots in case something needs recovery.  TrueNAS can sync to cloud storage pretty reliably, so I can long-term store things offsite from there.

Any advice/caveats?  I appreciate the help...

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

In the end it comes down to what you have, how you want to interact with it and what is it you need it to do.

Spaceinvader has quite a few youtube videos going over this setup and transtion.

I Have dabbled with unraid host with a Truenass VM with an HBA disk by id pass thorugh and a variety of other combinations and setups with proxmox and ubuntu server. 

I have found Unraid to be the better Docker system, ubuntu to be the better nfs/samba config server and proxmox to have the better hyperviosr vm setup.

From all the OS testing I have found Unraid to be the better investment in the end. Truenas scale only if you are not running dockers or vm. Unless you like to live in terminal and run your commands manually / sh script, debian linux(Ubuntu) all the way. I prefer some 1 click solutions that unriad has protected over the years.

You really need to have the Unraid Community plugins for datasets.

Truenas scale has a better webgui and access over vdevs and datasets but nothing more.

You can import the truenas pool manual in unraid and will need the community apps User script to run this at array startup to maintain truenas pool in unraid. do your Rsync and import a pool.

Unfortuanly Truenas pools creates a terrible swap pool that hurts the disk when not using Truenas BS of a lockdown system. As Swap should never have been nor on or a seperat instance of a zfs pool on the disks....

As such, I highly don't recommend import a truenas pool except to file copy on the local machine. It is better to do a samba /sftp file copy to a new setup instance on unraid.

To use zfs properly in unraid you will need a separate drive to satisfy a single disk for use as disk 1 of the array. the other disk will be setup under cache as a zfs pool created by unraid. To install all the community zfs plugin and snapshot plugin.

to use your hard disk for a zfs pool you must create it under cahce to use zfs effectively and as zfs intended.

By default unraid will try to use btfs for any cash pool disk setup. You will need to add a casch disk pool specifying the # of drives and then click the pool name to change the filesystem type to zfs. You will need a min of 3 disk to use zfs raidz1. 2 disk for zfs stripe/mirror.

Based on what you are describing to me you would want to virtualize truenas in a VM running on a unraid host.

Please see space invaders YouTube videos:

Edited by bmartino1