New possible Unraid user with backup questions

steelfanatic

Hello, I have been interested in using Unraid because of some slight frustrations with WHS 2011 and my RAID 5 card. I have heard quite a bit on Unraid ease of use and stability.

My main question is this: Right now I can back up my 1.5 TB of Movie, Pics, Software, and Music "pool" (monthly)to a 2 TB Samsung hard drive using Cobian backup connected to a USB3 Rosewill docking station in about 3 hours then take it off site, ......yes I know I'm paranoid,but, this data has been built up over years. Is this same thing possible to do with Unraid? Can I do this with the Web Management Utility? Is there a better solution for this?

Thanks in advance.

There is no way to do this within the web management utility.

Look in the User Customizations forum for the S.N.A.P. thread.  That addon should allow you to do what you want.

Hmmm...seems a bit complicated. Thanks for the quick reply, what do you suggest? What "offsite" backup solution do you use? Whats the most common? Can I build a second cheap Unraid server and sync it over the network?

Look in the User Customizations forum for the S.N.A.P. thread.  That addon should allow you to do what you want.

Hmmm...seems a bit complicated.

Not sure how complicated it is, I have never used SNAP myself.  I know a few do use it and like it and once it is set up it should just keep working.

Thanks for the quick reply, what do you suggest?

Trying SNAP does not cost you anything, can't hurt to try it.

What "offsite" backup solution do you use?

I have CrashPlan installed on my unRAID server.  I then use it to backup my important files to the cloud

Whats the most common?

Probably SNAP and CrashPlan

Can I build a second cheap Unraid server and sync it over the network?

yes, that is also doable, but there is no GUI for that either.  Its not a "here is my one server, here is my other server, now sync" type of operation.

Hmmm...seems a bit complicated.

Not sure how complicated it is, I have never used SNAP myself.  I know a few do use it and like it and once it is set up it should just keep working.

Thanks for the quick reply, what do you suggest?

Trying SNAP does not cost you anything, can't hurt to try it.

What "offsite" backup solution do you use?

I have CrashPlan installed on my unRAID server.  I then use it to backup my important files to the cloud

Whats the most common?

Probably SNAP and CrashPlan

Can I build a second cheap Unraid server and sync it over the network?

yes, that is also doable, but there is no GUI for that either.  Its not a "here is my one server, here is my other server, now sync" type of operation.

Thank you for the reply, I will look into both solutions, I was also thinking Unraid server > USB3 connected to windows client.

Thank you for the reply, I will look into both solutions, I was also thinking Unraid server > USB3 connected to windows client.

That will certainly work and is a very simple solution, but you won't get USB3 speeds.  You will be limited by your network speed, which is Gigabit at best (1/5th to 1/4th the speed of USB3).

That will certainly work and is a very simple solution, but you won't get USB3 speeds.  You will be limited by your network speed, which is Gigabit at best (1/5th to 1/4th the speed of USB3).

Very true, will SNAP work with USB3?

Very true, will SNAP work with USB3?

I won't promise anything but USB is USB is USB.