Check for corrupted flash drive

Some months ago my flash drive got corrupt and I wonder ever since what the best strategy is. I use the unraid.net flash backup, as well as a versioned local backup, however this doesn‘t seem a completely valid backup strategy. 

When my flash drive got corrupted, my backup started backing up the corrupted files, which made unraid.net backup worthless. I just found out by accident that my drive was corrupt and that something was wrong, when the server didn’t reboot. The first corrupted files were months old at this point, and I had no backup that old anymore. 

I was able to put together a valid flash drive by manually identifying corrupted files and replacing them with the original file. It was mostly luck, that no „individualized“ files were corrupt. 

I wonder how this could be avoided. To be fully sure the corrupted files are not backed up, I would need a weekly job that searches for corrupted files. Only if nothing was found, a backup should be done. If corrupted files are found, the last „clean“ backup should be used to create a new flash drive. 

I have not read about these issues so far. Is this problem common?