Framework laptop: Thunderbolt -> NVME -> pci-e

Hello, I am considering a project with a 12th-gen Framework laptop mainboard - https://frame.work/gb/en/products/mainboard-12th-gen-intel-core?v=FRANGACP06

I currently have a reasonably large Unraid NAS, the main purpose for which is a plex server.  This is composed of the Unraid host, which is an unremarkable ATX pc case, and 2x 4U cases for the drives (up to 15 drives in each). The drives in each 4U case are connected to 4 ports on an internal SAS expander, which then connects via two external mini-SAS cables to the Unraid box. The Unraid box has a single HBA with 4 external ports (9206-16e).

I have upgraded my framework laptop to AMD, and have the 12th gen mainboard in the CoolerMaster case, waiting for something interesting to do. I am intrigued to use it for Unraid due to low power usage, the intel CPU being good for plex transcoding, and because it has 4x Thunderbolt ports.

. To connect my drives, I am considering going Thunderbolt -> NVME -> pci-e by buying 2x thunderbolt NVME adapters, and 2x ADT-Link NVME to pci-e adapters (such as https://www.adt.link/product/R42SR.html, there are lots of variants). I can then place one of these inside each of my 4U cases, and put a 2-port SAS HBA card (e.g. 9207-8i) in each ADT-Link pci-e slot to connect to the drives via the SAS expander. 

I am not looking for ultimate speed, just ease of connectivity, and ultra low power usage. I see reviews for some Thunderbolt NVME adapters to be quite low, e.g. 1 to 1.5 Gbit/sec, but others approach 2.5, which would be sufficient (across 15 drives this would be 166 MB/sec during Unraid parity check).

Interested to see if anyone has thought of doing similar, or anyone who has experience of speeds using Thunderbolt - > NVME -> pci-e or similar.

(PS. Why not Thunderbolt to pci-e directly? Well, these options seem less than ideal as most solutions are geared towards external GPU usage, and are either very expensive / bulky, or are less easy to power (e.g., requires PSU connected via ATX 24-pin, assuming the card is high power). Maybe I am wrong and someone can share a good solution for this approach?)

Edited by flaggart
Added PS.
  • Like 1