amd radeon rx 7800 xt

Go to solution Solved by ffgdad,

I just bought a new video card. I installed it. I can select it in the edit screen. My screen goes blackk like it is trying to work and nothing.

I then started unraid and told it to start up in the gui on startup. The screen goes black. I dont even get the unraid user interface. 

Does unraid not support my video card. Or is there some driver I have to add to the linux software?

i dont understand. what would blacklisting the driver do? black list must mean something else than what I am thinking. Also where do I put that blank config file? What is the driver called? Do I download a driver from techpower and delete the text on the inside? 

21 minutes ago, ffgdad said:

Also where do I put that blank config file?

See the link above for the instructions, scroll down to the Linux Kernel sections since for some reason the direct link is not working.

22 minutes ago, ffgdad said:

What is the driver called?

radeon

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

I made another windows 11 machine. I did what I thought was exactly what I did before. The Driver ROM  didn't work this time.  I will try to blacklist the gpu now. I will follow the link. but is there a walk through that can tell me step by step how to do that?

i cant even boot into gui mode wtih that video card.

Edited by ffgdad
Posted (edited)

so I create a file in the location  /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf,  and in that file i write,    "echo blacklist i915"?

When I made the rom last time using what I found in the above video. It made a file called "rx7800xt.rom. should I name the file rx7800xt.conf? and inside the file write "echo blacklist rx7800xt?

And how do I get there without pulling the thumb drive, putting it in my laptop and creating the file. then putting it back in my tower and rebooting. 

Edited by ffgdad

in the upper right hand corner of the UI. there is an icon   ">_"    this is the terminal. i went into this and typed "echo blacklist rx7800xt". it came back with some stuff I don't remember. It didn't say it didn't work. I still cant use the video card in the VM.

2 hours ago, ffgdad said:

so I create a file in the location  /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf,  and in that file i write,    "echo blacklist i915"?

No, you type in the CLI, or copy/paste the line below

echo "blacklist radeon" > /boot/config/modprobe.d/radeon.conf

Can't really help with the ROMs.

• Solution

I ended up putting team viewer on the vm while it was in vnc. I then changed the video from vnc to the amd video card. I restarted the VM and networked in using team viewer. I was then able to update the driver for the video card while using team viewer. After that the monitors came on. I hope this will be the way I can do it every time.