Replacing parity drives fails twice on two different disks.

Go to solution Solved by jhyler,

I am at wit's end on this one.

I'd been meaning to upgrade my parity drives (I use two) to larger ones for some time now.  Around Christmastime WD had a pretty good price on a bundle of two 22T red disks, so I went ahead and bought them.  When I got them, I precleared both of them (just to get some burn-in use), then stopped the array, replaced the old disks with the new ones, and restarted to let the parity build.  After a few minutes the rebuild failed on parity disk 2 with write errors.  After trying some things with no luck, I let parity rebuild on just the new Parity 1 disk, which succeeded. I RMA'd the other disk.

I now have a replacement for that "failed" disk and precleared it successfully.  I then assigned it as Parity 2 and let a parity rebuild start.  The rebuild stopped after 4.5 hours with write errors again.  Plus I can neither stop the parity rebuild nor can I stop the array.  This being the second new Parity 2 disk, it's getting hard to believe in dsk errors now. I did the usual trick of starting in maintenance mode, unassigning, reassignng.  Then I moved the disk to a different slot in the case (so the adapter and cables are different) and tried the rebuild again.  This time the parity rebuild fails in just a minute.  

Maybe Unraid just doesn't like 22T disks?

I'm attaching two sets of diagnostics, one from after the first failed parity rebuild and one from after the most recent rebuild.  Neither one contains a smart report for the Parity 2 disk, so I got one while in maintenance mode and am uploading that too. That report looks clean.  EDIT: I've removed the second diagnostics, they were taken too late and there's nothing useful there.

Help! This has gotten beyond me.  If I go back to WD and tell them that the disk they replaced my RMA'd disk with has the same problems the first one did, I expect they're going to want some hard evidence.

first fail, tower-diagnostics-20240123-1521.zip tower-smart-20240123-1550.zip

Edited by jhyler

Thanks for looking at it.  The parity check/rebuild was not manually initiated, Unraid automatically started it after I assigned the second parity disk and started the array, Referring to the first syslog, you'll find it starting at line 2343 (15:13:20).  The SATA link drops almost immediately afterwards and the drive goes offline.  Almost makes me wonder about the power supply, but the system had been working fine and all I really did was replace two WD Red 10TB drives with 22TB drives. (The specs say they consume less than 2 watts more each, but that won't be peak). The second syslog I uploaded looks like it got truncated somehow. I probably did get that log after it was too late.

Edited by jhyler
  • 2 weeks later...