Advice: m910q build

Hi,

Just getting started with unraid and looking for some advice on what I can and can't do with the hardware I have, and some directions to build in.

I have: 

M910q - i7 7700T 2.9GHz 16GB RAM

SSDs:  1x 256gb m.2 and 1x 4gb currently in the m910.

1x 2gb, 1x 1.5gb - as storage in my current gaming computer 

HDD: WD external 4gb

I would like to build out a good backup solution, have been relying too much on Dropbox for my files. Want to have more local backup solutions.

I also would like to set up:

Plex - overseer/ rr

Calibre for ebooks

Owntracks 

Paperless

Bitwarden

Simple login

Ubuntu server VM 

Home Assistant OS

And probably other docker/VM projects to play around with.

I know SSDs aren't great to start with but don't have a bunch of money. My thinking was to run the 4tb as a cache and run all VMS docker etc from there.

Then have a small array, with the 4tb for now. But interested if I can incorporate anything else in there or if there is a better choice.

In future I would like to have a small 4-5 drive bay and slowly build some Nas HDDs in there. But not sure where to Start or whether I should go down a USB route or try doing some sas/SATA thing (not very knowledgeable in this just found this project which looked interesting - Tinynas but not very sure how to get that to work and soldering the power seems a bit beyond me)

Any other thoughts or advice? And any cheapish drive bays or solutions to move forward. I probably have 2-300 bucks to spend at the moment.. but am willing to keep adding. So I was thinking that might give me an enclosure and one 4tb HDD... Maybe I could shuck the other to start. And then build more 4tb in. But then I read maybe it's better to start with a 10gb or something and go on that way.any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Crystal 

Would then it be best to try something like: 

CY M.2 NGFF NVME M-Key PCI Express to SATA 3.0 6Gbps 5 Ports Adapter Converter Hard Drive Extension Card JMB585 2280 Link Amazon

And try and find an enclosure to power the drives and link them through individual Sata cables? Do you know what I would need to search for for something like that?