Unraid 6.12.6 cache filling up.

Normally my cache drive sits anywhere from 11 - 13 GB after mover runs, but all of a sudden it just keeps filling up and am sitting at 80.9 GB at the time of writing this post and wondering how I can get it to go back down to normal. I attached my diagnostic file hopefully some one smarter than me can some insight as to what I screwed up here.

Thanks in advance for any and all help

reptarflixs-diagnostics-20240206-1523.zip

37 minutes ago, T0rqueWr3nch said:

du -sh /mnt/cache/*

Hey T0ruqeWr3nch thanks this is the output I received 

:~# du -sh /mnt/cache/*
22G     /mnt/cache/appdata
0       /mnt/cache/domains
0       /mnt/cache/isos
36G    /mnt/cache/system

is this normal?

You can keep drilling down.

du -sh /mnt/cache/system/*

du -sh /mnt/cache/appdata/*

"Normal" is subjective. For you to jump 70 gigs (but probably less than that in reality) is significant. Did you install any new Docker containers? The most likely culprit is a misconfigured Docker container (either missing a mount by you, or by the image maintainer) filling up the Docker vDisk or excessive logging or both.

3 minutes ago, T0rqueWr3nch said:

You can keep drilling down.

du -sh /mnt/cache/system/*

du -sh /mnt/cache/appdata/*

"Normal" is subjective. For you to jump 70 gigs (but probably less than that in reality) is significant. Did you install any new Docker containers? The most likely culprit is a misconfigured Docker container (either missing a mount by you, or by the image maintainer) filling up the Docker vDisk or excessive logging or both.

I think I found something du -sh /mnt/cache/system/docker/*
35G     /mnt/cache/system/docker/docker.img

I did install unifi reborn and a new version of nextcloud

Edited by Funny718
Fix an error in message
52 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Not unexpected as that is what you configured it to be in Settings->Docker

I see and that makes perfect sense I do remember setting it up this way, I just uninstalled Unifi reborn Controller hoping that would resolve my issue but no joy, is there anything else I could do to fix this issue? I think my unifi reborn controller was filling up the cache drive so I uninstalled the container and deleted folder form appdata as well.

Make sure that you have set the Minimum Free Space for the cache drive to be larger than the biggest file you expect to write to it for caching.   Then when the free space falls below that Unraid will start by-passing the cache and writing files directly to the array.

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

Make sure that you have set the Minimum Free Space for the cache drive to be larger than the biggest file you expect to write to it for caching.   Then when the free space falls below that Unraid will start by-passing the cache and writing files directly to the array.

I have it currently set to 20 GB at the moment.

Just now, Funny718 said:

I have it currently set to 20 GB at the moment.

Should probably be enough - only you can tell what files you tend to download.    Note, however, if you have anything writing directly to the cache drive (e.g. as /mnt/cache/somename) then it will by-pass this check.  It only applies if writing to a User Share that is set to use caching (and not set to only be on the cache pool).

Just now, itimpi said:

Should probably be enough - only you can tell what files you tend to download.    Note, however, if you have anything writing directly to the cache drive (e.g. as /mnt/cache/somename) then it will by-pass this check.  It only applies if writing to a User Share that is set to use caching (and not set to only be on the cache pool).

Ah I see I currently have all my container setup like this example (/mnt/cache/appdata/radarr) as I thought that would be the fastest and the best.

34 minutes ago, Funny718 said:

Ah I see I currently have all my container setup like this example (/mnt/cache/appdata/radarr) as I thought that would be the fastest and the best.

If the following are met:

• You are using Unraid 6.12.x
  • All your 'appdata' share is on the 'cache' pool
  • You have enabled  Exclusive shares under Settings->Global Share settings.

then you can get the same performance using /mnt/user/appdata/somename as using /mnt/cache/appdata/somename.  

11 hours ago, itimpi said:

If the following are met:

• You are using Unraid 6.12.x
  • All your 'appdata' share is on the 'cache' pool
  • You have enabled  Exclusive shares under Settings->Global Share settings.

then you can get the same performance using /mnt/user/appdata/somename as using /mnt/cache/appdata/somename.  

I see thanks, but still doesn't seem to answer my question as to what cause my cache drive to jump up from 11.49 GB up to 75.7 GB and how can I fix this.

1 hour ago, Funny718 said:

I see thanks, but still doesn't seem to answer my question as to what cause my cache drive to jump up from 11.49 GB up to 75.7 GB and how can I fix this.

It might if the reason was that because you were not using a /mnt/user path with your docker containers then you were not able to take advantage of the minimum free space value to stop the cache pool filling up.   Having said that since your docker.img file is set to be 35GB and it is set to be on the cache pool that is in practice the minimum you should expect to be used.    Since mover will not move open files you may also have a docker container running that is keeping file(s) open in the ‘appdata’ share  - you would need to drill down on the space used there to find out.

• Upvote 1