6.12.6 Stuck on "Array Starting - Mounting disks..."

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I'm fairly new to unRAID, but very happy to have made the switch. I've made a few mistakes already, and have learned greatly from them. I hope this isn't another one of those.

So i've chosen to use RAIDz1 for my main storage pool (main), with a read and write M.2 SSD cache as well (Dev1 - nvme0n1 + Dev3 - nvme1n1). I think this is my first reboot. Everything was working gloriously, but now i can't bring my array online. I can't mount the two nvme's either - they used to have the status 0dev i think. 

So i'm thinking the issue here is that the RAIDz1 pool expects the two cache drives to be accessible, which for some reason they arent.

I'd really appreciate some input on this.

Thank you!

unRAID.png

tower-diagnostics-20240207-2050.zip

Edited by cooljules1
drive names
4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Pool has logs and cache vdevs, to use them you need to reimport the pool with all devices assigned, see the end of this post for how to reimport the pool:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?do=findComment&comment=1256329

Thank you a million! This helps alot, but i'm still not able to mount the pool.

Just to re-iterate. The procedure is:

1. unassign all pool devices
  2. start array (check the "Yes I want to do this" box)
  3. stop array
  4. re-assign all pool devices, including the new vdev(s), assign all devices sequentially in the same order as zpool status shows, and don't leave empty slots in the middle of the assigned devices.
  5. start array
  6. existing pool will be imported with the new vdev(s):

I can now start the array just fine, with and without the disks assigned, as described above. But the disks are "Unmountable". 

I'm sure my mistake is when re-aassigning all pool devices, but I'm struggling to understand how i assign the new vdevs (cache and logs) to the pool? I mean, i can't add them in CLI when the array is stopped? And i can't when it's started either, because it's unmountable? 

Thanks again!

Screenshot 2024-02-08 150757.png

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

Also note that the pool cannot be online before starting the array, if it is, or in doubt, type

zpool export main

Only them start the array.

Thanks. It's not online.

root@Tower:~# zpool export main
cannot open 'main': no such pool

We agree that the vdevs should remain as unassigned devices, and not added to a pool? 

Edited by cooljules1

As a reference, this is how it looked prior to booting:

pool: main
state: ONLINE
config:
NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
main ONLINE 0 0 0
raidz1-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
/dev/sdf1 ONLINE 0 0 0
/dev/sdg1 ONLINE 0 0 0
/dev/sdh1 ONLINE 0 0 0
/dev/sdi1 ONLINE 0 0 0
logs
/dev/nvme1n1p1 ONLINE 0 0 0
cache
/dev/nvme0n1p1 ONLINE 0 0 0
errors: No known data errors

46 minutes ago, cooljules1 said:

We agree that the vdevs should remain as unassigned devices, and not added to a pool?

No, I guess the instructions I linked were not very clear, everything needs to be assign to the same pool, in the same order as the zpool status output, unless I'm looking at the wrong diags you only have the disks assigned, not the NVMe devices.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

No, I guess the instructions I linked were not very clear, everything needs to be assign to the same pool, in the same order as the zpool status output, unless I'm looking at the wrong diags you only have the disks assigned, not the NVMe devices.

Disks mounted, array started! Thank you a mil! You saved my day. 

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 17.49.19.png

Edited by cooljules1
  • Like 1