[SOLVED] preclear EADS non-AF disk while 4k alligned

OK really quick.

Replacing a failing non AF drive (EADS).  My server is set to default 4k aligned.

Therefore, does this mean I need the -a switch?

./preclear_disk.sh -a -m [email protected] /dev/sdX

Figured I would ask before I started the 24 hour process wrong...

makes no difference at all, it is NOT an EARS drive. You can use no option, or -a or -A and the drive will work the same.

OK, I have 4k alligned set for all disks, but the drive I am adding is an EADS RMA drive, so it is not an AF disk.  Does this mean that the -a, -A and 4k-alligned stuff does not even come into play?

If I ran the command with -a, does it matter at all?

I guess you did not read my post.

Your drive can access a partition starting on a 512 byte boundary.  If partitioned, no matter where you start the partition, it will be on a 512 byte boundary.

The so-called AF EARS drives work better if aligned on a 4096 byte boundary, with  NO jumper

or

partitioned as historically done in MS-DOS starting on sector 63, if you add their jumper, in which case electrically they add one to sector 63, and actually access sector 64.     

Just use your EADS drive.  Partition it ANY way you like.  It makes no difference at all.

Joe L.

Thanks Joe.

I did read your post, but I wanted to be overly cautious...

Once the preclear is complete, I want to confirm my steps.

Stop array.  Unassign failing disk, assign new, and then start array?  There is a check box to rebuild parity or something like that, right?

Also, is there a way to look at the AF drives in the current array to make sure that they are indeed formatted correctly with -A and NO jumper or jumper and no -A?  I look at the hd link via MyMain and all my disks list sector 63.  may have nothing to do with the sector 64, but thought it was worth the ask.

Thanks again for all the help.

Also, is there a way to look at the AF drives in the current array to make sure that they are indeed formatted correctly with -A and NO jumper or jumper and no -A?  I look at the hd link via MyMain and all my disks list sector 63.  may have nothing to do with the sector 64, but thought it was worth the ask.

Thanks again for all the help.

curious about this as well

uh?  disk link?

Thanks.  I have no clue what I am looking for...

connect to the unraid server via the web gui. click main and just click harddrive (disk1, disk2)

okay guys, i have an issue

im using 5.0beta and just did a new preclear with -A.  Everything went fine and i formatted the drive in the web gui.  Problem is that its showing the format as:

Partition format: MBR: unaligned

Checked my disk settings and the default partition type is set to:

MBR: 4k-Alligned

Why isn't unraid formating the drives correctly?  I should note that both my WD20Ears drives are showing the unaligned partition with no jumpers.  How can i fix this?

uh?  disk link?

Thanks.  I have no clue what I am looking for...

connect to the unraid server via the web gui. click main and just click harddrive (disk1, disk2)

okay guys, i have an issue

im using 5.0beta and just did a new preclear with -A.  Everything went fine and i formatted the drive in the web gui.  Problem is that its showing the format as:

Partition format: MBR: unaligned

Checked my disk settings and the default partition type is set to:

MBR: 4k-Alligned

Why isn't unraid formating the drives correctly?  I should note that both my WD20Ears drives are showing the unaligned partition with no jumpers.  How can i fix this?

what version of the preclear script are you using?

the latest one.  whichever one was linked in the wiki config page

As far as I know, none are linked from the wiki.

Since you did not answer my specific question, I cannot help much more.  There are only two versions of the preclear script that will properly put a precleared GPT signature on a 3TB disk.  (Hint, they were not the last two)  Telling me it was on a link you followed does not help me at all.

Type

preclear_disk.sh -v

tell me the output.

Also, some versions of the unRAID beta did not recognize the signature even if present.  What specific beta version are you running?

If the drive is an AF drive and has the jumper in place, it should list as MBR unaligned right?

My server is set to 4k-aligned.  My non-jumpered AF formatted -A shows, MBR: 4K-aligned

All others that are either not AF or AF with jumper show, MBR: unaligned

This is correct, right?

Thanks.

If the drive is an AF drive and has the jumper in place, it should list as MBR unaligned right?

My server is set to 4k-aligned.  My non-jumpered AF formatted -A shows, MBR: 4K-aligned

All others that are either not AF or AF with jumper show, MBR: unaligned

This is correct, right?

Thanks.

correct