We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

New Unraid Build What Do You Think?

spencer785

Hi there just getting ready to order parts for my second unraid server. Just wondering what you guys think about this build. Thanks

BIOSTAR TH67B LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor

SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 x2

SUPERMICRO CSE-M35T-1B Black 5x 3.5" Hot-swap SATA Hard Disk Drive Trays x4

Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit

Noctua NF-B9-1600 92MM Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan 1300-1600RPM x4 (Quieter Fans For Hot Swap Trays)

XFX 750W PRO750W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 62A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze PSU

Antec Twelve Hundred 1200 V3

3WARE Multi Lane Internal SFF-8087 to 4X Serial ATA Breakout Cable 1.0M x4

Patriot Xporter XT Boost 8GB Flash Drive

Not sure what yours plans for the server are but ....

Intel Xeon E3-1230 Sandy Bridge 3.2GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache has 4 cores and 4 hyperthreads $239 (newegg)

Intel Xeon E3-1220 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache 4 cores $206 (Newegg)

unraid 4.7 only supports 4 cores at the moment but the 5 series supports more.

If you are going to run ESXI you might consider more ram.

OPEN BOX ALERT at new egg $108.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182253R

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O LGA 1155 Intel C204 Micro ATX Intel Xeon E3 Server Motherboard

I have the 1230 - it mostly idles.  Running crashplan backup to the cloud and as a reciver from internal 6 PCs in my home.

top - 23:33:45 up 10 days,  8:57,  0 users,  load average: 0.13, 0.03, 0.01

Not sure what yours plans for the server are but ....

Intel Xeon E3-1230 Sandy Bridge 3.2GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache has 4 cores and 4 hyperthreads $239 (newegg)

Intel Xeon E3-1220 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache 4 cores $206 (Newegg)

unraid 4.7 only supports 4 cores at the moment but the 5 series supports more.

If you are going to run ESXI you might consider more ram.

OPEN BOX ALERT at new egg $108.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182253R

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O LGA 1155 Intel C204 Micro ATX Intel Xeon E3 Server Motherboard

I have the 1230 - it mostly idles.  Running crashplan backup to the cloud and as a reciver from internal 6 PCs in my home.

top - 23:33:45 up 10 days,  8:57,  0 users,  load average: 0.13, 0.03, 0.01

Thanks for your post but im in canada so I can't get those deals. Also I think I will change from the 1220 to the 1230. How much memory would you suggest, and could I have linux or windows running folding@home while using unraid. Thanks

I do not have ESXI running yet so I am not the best source for information.

I suggest you poke about in this thread:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=14695.msg138463#msg138463

FWIW I ended up with the "lighter" version of this mboard.

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL+-F Micro ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1155 Intel C202 DDR3 1333

only 3 pcie slots (one 4x less than the M version) and no 6 gbps SATA but it is cheaper and it has two Intel 82574L ethernet ports.

I really like the IMPI although i wish you could cut and paste from it .....

(still learning all the features and not using supermicro's utility program so this may just be user too stupid error on my part.)

Looks solid. i like this build..

the only things I might do different,

I would consider an I3-2100-2130 if you want to cut your electricity costs.

the Xeon is pretty hefty CPU  for just unraid. even transcoding wont use that much CPU.... (handbrake would probably love the Xeon)

I run an I3-2100 in my unraid box and it is almost always idol. my esxi box has a E3-1240 and gets a good workout.

for plain unraid 4GB RAM is fine (so is 2GB in many cases), 8GB might get used if you run a bunch of add-ons. for ESXi get as much ram as you can... i could use 64GB if i had it...

also..i am not sure how the norco's will fit into that case or how effective the push-pull fan setup through the drive bays would be. i am sure someone here has done it. i would search around.

another thing to consider, 2 m1015's instead of the saslp-mv8's if you are planning to run the newer betas (I dont think they work in 4.7? I could be wrong.), they cost a bit less off ebay and outperform them.

but the saslp-mv8's do their job. i have several in my servers.

Looks solid. i like this build..

the only things I might do different,

I would consider an I3-2100-2130 if you want to cut your electricity costs.

the Xeon is pretty hefty CPU  for just unraid. even transcoding wont use that much CPU.... (handbrake would probably love the Xeon)

I run an I3-2100 in my unraid box and it is almost always idol. my esxi box has a E3-1240 and gets a good workout.

for plain unraid 4GB RAM is fine (so is 2GB in many cases), 8GB might get used if you run a bunch of add-ons. for ESXi get as much ram as you can... i could use 64GB if i had it...

also..i am not sure how the norco's will fit into that case or how effective the push-pull fan setup through the drive bays would be. i am sure someone here has done it. i would search around.

another thing to consider, 2 m1015's instead of the saslp-mv8's if you are planning to run the newer betas (I dont think they work in 4.7? I could be wrong.), they cost a bit less off ebay and outperform them.

but the saslp-mv8's do their job. i have several in my servers.

I'm going to use esxi so I will change the memory to 16gb 4x4gb. And by how much do the m1015's outperm the mv8's just because there an extra $90 each. Thanks

not $90 worth.

most of us get them off of ebay as new pulls. lots of IBM servers come with them and the new server owner does not need them and ebays them.

they tend to go for $65-$100 on ebay, any more then that I would stick with the mv8.

The m1015, is a PCIe 8x card with sata3 6GB/s. it is not a huge performance boost over the mv8.

the M1015 is also natively supported in ESXi. The mv8 needs a hack.

Don't forget, if you're going ESX, 2 mv8's only get you 16drives in unraid. if you're going greater then 16 drives, you will need 3 SAS controllers for 20-24 drives..

The other option, is 1x M1015($80ish ebay) and 1xRES2SV240 ($210 and comes with all  the cables) is actually a cheaper combo because it comes with 6 SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cables ($60-$120 savings).

This option also only uses a single PCIe 8x slot. The RES2SV240 dose not need a slot, you can use the top auxiliary power plug.

in my ESXI box, I have 2 M1015's and 1 MV8. I have 8 drives on each M1015 and only 4 on the Mv8. I'll probably put a breakout cable on the mv8's second port for an internal cache drive and an esata port.

not $90 worth.

most of us get them off of ebay as new pulls. lots of IBM servers come with them and the new server owner does not need them and ebays them.

they tend to go for $65-$100 on ebay, any more then that I would stick with the mv8.

The m1015, is a PCIe 8x card with sata3 6GB/s. it is not a huge performance boost over the mv8.

the M1015 is also natively supported in ESXi. The mv8 needs a hack.

Don't forget, if you're going ESX, 2 mv8's only get you 16drives in unraid. if you're going greater then 16 drives, you will need 3 SAS controllers for 20-24 drives..

The other option, is 1x M1015($80ish ebay) and 1xRES2SV240 ($210 and comes with all  the cables) is actually a cheaper combo because it comes with 6 SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cables ($60-$120 savings).

This option also only uses a single PCIe 8x slot. The RES2SV240 dose not need a slot, you can use the top auxiliary power plug.

in my ESXI box, I have 2 M1015's and 1 MV8. I have 8 drives on each M1015 and only 4 on the Mv8. I'll probably put a breakout cable on the mv8's second port for an internal cache drive and an esata port.

Can I use the onboard sata ports with esxi or do I have to use sas controllers. Also thank you very much for all your help.

Can I use the onboard sata ports with esxi or do I have to use sas controllers. Also thank you very much for all your help.

Yes, but I would avoid it for unraid or any storage based guest.

read this post, it is pretty much the same question.

if you start passing through drives to unRAID, it can be a real pain in the ass. especially if you ever want to upgrade or replace a drive.

I think it is expensive...

I think you might be the first to run 3x saslp-mv8s in ESXi like this.

i don't see an issue with this, but you might be a beta tester... in a way.

You might save a few bucks getting the breakout cables from monoprice.

you also only need 5 cables for 20 drives.. you could still get a 6th for internal mounted drives. a laptop or ssd cache drive for example.

Going to order everything tomorrow I just hope it all goes well and is fast enough. Just a few more questions.

1. Do I need separate hard drives for ESXi other than the drives for Unraid.

2. Do unraid and ESXi need a separate usb flash drive.

3. The mother board Im buying has 3 lan ports are they all needed.

4. Do you recommend ordering anything else from looking at my list other than hard drives.

5. I seen for your Virtualized unRAID build you used SSD's do you recommend that. Thanks

Going to order everything tomorrow I just hope it all goes well and is fast enough. Just a few more questions.

4. Do you recommend ordering anything else from looking at my list other than hard drives.

5. I seen for your Virtualized unRAID build you used SSD's do you recommend that. Thanks

1. Yes, you need a datastore on a hard drive.

2. Yes.

3. no, but you'll want to use one for ESXi vswitch and one for the IPMI.

4. errr. i would still consider the m1015's or a sas expander. but you are set with what you have.

5. you do not need an SSD at all. it is how i chose to build my build.

however, i would use at least a 7200 rpm hard drive, but once you a raid array  or SSD fo your datastore (or in general) it is hard to go back to slow. this really depends on your usage. you cant fit to much into your case drive wise. ssd's are easy to stash inside a case.

1. Yes, you need a datastore on a hard drive.

2. Yes.

3. no, but you'll want to use one for ESXi vswitch and one for the IPMI.

4. errr. i would still consider the m1015's or a sas expander. but you are set with what you have.

5. you do not need an SSD at all. it is how i chose to build my build.

however, i would use at least a 7200 rpm hard drive, but once you a raid array  or SSD fo your datastore (or in general) it is hard to go back to slow. this really depends on your usage. you cant fit to much into your case drive wise. ssd's are easy to stash inside a case.

Ok so the datastore drive holds all the ESXi info and virtual machines. So for example I would install windows server on the datastore drive and then if I wanted assign one or multiple hard drives to it from there. The cheapest prices I can find are $140 for the m1015 and $220 for the RES2SV240 what would you recommend.

looks good. that NIC might have issues. although beta13 came out today, that might fix it.

keep that in mind.

you could also order a cheap $25 intel nic if that fails.

I ordered the Intel PRO/1000 CT Desktop Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter PCI Express NIC. Do you know if this will work fine. Thanks

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/adapters/gigabit-ct/gigabit-ct-overview.htm

looks good. that NIC might have issues. although beta13 came out today, that might fix it.

keep that in mind.

you could also order a cheap $25 intel nic if that fails.

I ordered the Intel PRO/1000 CT Desktop Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter PCI Express NIC. Do you know if this will work fine. Thanks

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/adapters/gigabit-ct/gigabit-ct-overview.htm

yep, I run several of these. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106033

they used to be $22.. i guess they went up a bit. top quality NIC and industry standard for speed and stability.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived