Dreadnought...my new Unraid test server.

siamsquare

Norco Dreadnought

Yo,

Finally...I was able to start work on my new server this week when my Norco case arrived this week. It took me some time to gather all the parts and the Norco was Out-of-Stock almost everywhere,especially here in EU where only 2 shops sell Norco. Also I like to shop around as most parts are more expensive than in US. The financial crisis didn't do much good either for hardware prices as the dollar/euro contrast got smaller and smaller thus making products like Supermicro more expensive.

I come from several NAS but they are expensive and difficult to upgrade once all drive bays are full.

I wanted something which was expandable en highly customisable. So I heard about Unraid and will give it a try. In the meantime while I was waiting for my Norco I have been reading alot on forums so I bought my hardware  in function that I will be trying out other systems too. But I'm on a budget so I don't think I'll be buying a large expensive RAID card like Areca or LSI for my system. i'll stick to HBA cards so that's why I chose Unraid allthough I'm also looking into ZFS with Napp-it. But Basically I want a low power and fast system...well fastiish!

So here's my setup:

Case: Norco RPC 4224 v3

Motherboard: Supermicro X9SCM-F (bios 1.0C)

Memory: Kingston ECC Unbuffered 1333mhz 2x4gb Value ram

Processor: Intel E-1230 Xeon (overkill...sure but I will be looking at other solutions too)

HBA: Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 (Will change to IBM M1015 for ZFS)

PSU: Seasonic X760 80+ Gold

USB: Sandisk Cruzer Micro 8gb

Parity: Hitachi 7K3000 3tb 7200rpm sata-3

Cache: an old Samsung 103uj 1tb 7200rpm sata-2

Data drives: 4x Hitachi 5K3000 2tb 5400rpm, 2x WD EZRX 3tb 5400rpm sata-3 for starters

Fans: 3x Coolink Swif2-120P PWM and 2x Coolink Swif2-80P PWM 'Silent whisper fans'

Upgrades: I have purchaced 3 IBM M1015 cards to expand the array and will be adding 4 WD20EARX drives

Running unraid 5.0b13

HDD's are in the proces of preclearing now.

so let me know what you think!

Gr33tz

PS: Will edit this post later with some pictures and text...work now!

dsc00438x.jpg

dsc00441isj.jpg

In the meantime did some cable management so need to take new picture and open her up again!

EDIT 1

Have been copying my first HDD to the array at a speed of 33mb/s with parity calculation.....not so happy about the speed as I need to copy over 20TB of files to Unraid and it will take me probably over a week to do so!

EDIT 2

Have been testing read speeds and reach a meager 37MB/s copying a 2TB from a WD30EZRX to Hitachi 5K3000 2TB...Very dissapointing! Guessed read speeds would be much higher!

Next step will be testing the same with a cache drive!

Archived