Verification of drive swap.. new drive replacement.

kanth

I have 4 drives on SATA. (Parity is one of the 4)

I have 3 drives on IDE.

I have an enclosure all hooked up for  4 drive SATA expansion.

This query is to verify. I am thinking of removing ide drives..

I can't just shut down and yank an IDE drive and then put in a SATA and tell it to rebuild, as I can't set the new SATA drive to the IDE's former "place" in the devices list. Correct?

I need to yank the old IDE drive (after copying its data off) and then do an initconfig, and let it rebuild parity. Then add the new drive.

Is that right?

-Kanth

I have 4 drives on SATA. (Parity is one of the 4)

I have 3 drives on IDE.

I have an enclosure all hooked up for  4 drive SATA expansion.

This query is to verify. I am thinking of removing ide drives..

I can't just shut down and yank an IDE drive and then put in a SATA and tell it to rebuild, as I can't set the new SATA drive to the IDE's former "place" in the devices list. Correct?

Wrong... You can do exactly that.  Stop the array, power down, remove IDE drive, install SATA drive,

power up array will see old disk missing.  Go to Devices page, assign SATA drive in slot previously used by IDE drive.

Then just start the array.  It will reconstruct the IDE drive's contents onto the SATA drive.

I need to yank the old IDE drive (after copying its data off) and then do an initconfig, and let it rebuild parity. Then add the new drive.

Is that right?

You could do it that way, but that is more work...  Far easier to just re-assign and re-construct as I first stated.

If you do it the way joe said, you do have to do one ide drive at a time, not all 3 at once. that also assumes the sata drives (besides the parity) are not part of the array.

in theory you can move the data off the ide drives and do the 3 at once yank with initconfig... i would run a parity check before you monkey with it and once more before you run the initconfig if you do go that route.

its time consuming. but it makes sure your data is good before you go past the point of no going back.

Ah so you are saying this:

disk3 device: pci-0000:03:00.0-ide-1:0 ide3 (hdg) WDC_WD2500BB-00GUA0_WD-WCAL73194546

It's not the 2nd part that has to be matched. All that is important is that the new device take over the device that was PREVIOUSLY disk3.

If disk3, is empty. Does it help to have precleared the new disk I am going to replace it with?

-Spencer

Archived