[SOLVED] Cache drive ignores Split level = 0?

EDITED: Solved, solution is in 4th post.

I set my split level to 0 to keep folder contents on the same drives, this works great if I disable the cache drive. However with cache drive enabled, transferring to the share will transfer to the cache drive, then when the cache drive sends the files over it will always send them to disk1 NOT the drive with the correct folder.

This can't be normal? This renders split level completely useless?

Here's my share settings:

# Generated settings:

shareComment=""

shareInclude="disk1-20"

shareExclude=""

shareUseCache="yes"

shareAllocator="fillup"

shareSplitLevel="0"

shareFloor="0"

shareExport="e"

shareSecurity="public"

shareReadList=""

shareWriteList=""

shareExportNFS="-"

shareExportNFSFsid="0"

shareSecurityNFS="public"

shareHostListNFS=""

shareExportAFP="-"

shareSecurityAFP="public"

shareReadListAFP=""

shareWriteListAFP=""

shareVolsizelimitAFP=""

Yes, that's the point of the cache drive. Files are only written to the array when the mover script runs. Also, the allocation method becomes irrelevant when you set the split level to 0.

You should try Joe L.'s excellent cache_dirs script to prevent unnecessary drive spin up. Using it, my drives now only spin up when files are executed and not when browsing my shares.

Yes, that's the point of the cache drive. Files are only written to the array when the mover script runs. Also, the allocation method becomes irrelevant when you set the split level to 0.

You should try Joe L.'s excellent cache_dirs script to prevent unnecessary drive spin up. Using it, my drives now only spin up when files are executed and not when browsing my shares.

No offense but I don't think you read my post completely.  ???

- Cache_dirs is not going to help spin-up when you are watching a tv show. If the episodes are on different discs, it's going to spin them up as you watch new episodes. That's why it's still better to just keep them on the same drive. I still use Cache_dirs for browsing the server.

- My problem is not that the files are going to the cache drive, it's that the cache drive is ignoring my split level of 0 when it transfers to the share. If using a cache drive means that allocation method/split level isn't utilized then that renders it useless for people who use a split level. I find it very hard to believe that this is the case.

I have edited the original post to make it shorter and more to the point.

Fixed it.

If anyone else is experiencing this and using a split of 0 try deleting everything in your user share's "Included disk(s)" and "Excluded disk(s)". With a split level of 0 it shouldn't be needed either way, assuming you manually created the user share folders on each disk you want it to be on.

Archived