SOLVED: Orange Status, Red Drive (Old Problem, New Manifestation?)

So, attached is an image that shows the current status of my unRaid setup. It seems to be working alright, but, of course, it's a concern whenever all the status lights aren't green.

What's interesting is that I've had a similar issue ( http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=15785.msg147007 ), but a little different. The same drive is in question. This drive is the only drive that is connected to a PCI card that I added to increase my available SATA ports, so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it.

Anyway, I couldn't find what the orange indication with the red drive is meant to mean, and I wonder if looking at these problems together will give better insight into both of them, so I decided to post on this forum, again. So, thanks for any help you may be able to offer. I may end up replacing the SATA cable in addition to doing any other fixes that may be suggested.

Multivac_-_Main.png.5fc95b33641c9b4c6f2df67ecc359bb4.png

So, attached is an image that shows the current status of my unRaid setup. It seems to be working alright, but, of course, it's a concern whenever all the status lights aren't green.

It is far from alright at the moment.

Anyway, I couldn't find what the orange indication with the red drive is meant to mean, and I wonder if looking at these problems together will give better insight into both of them, so I decided to post on this forum, again.

The orange is an indication that the array is running in degraded mode.

The red is indicating that drive is offline due to some sort of failure.

Your array is running in emulated mode right now. It is using the parity drive to recreate the data from the offline drive when you are requesting file that are on the drive (at a much slower then normal speed).

IF you loose another drive right now, You will most likely loose data permanently.

I suggest you post a syslog and a SMART report for the offline drive.

Great...

Well, I was about to go out of town for a few days, and I was checking the array to make sure everything was working so I could take it with me. But now I'm just going to turn it off and come back to it when I return. I'll post those reports when I get back this weekend.

Thanks for the quick response.

Note: I've been adding things to the array, so are there things that are written to parity and not on any actual data drives? The red drive is the drive where new data would go if it was working, since it is clearly the most free, but I don't know if it would have put the data on the other drives instead, or if it would just pretend like the red drive was working and update parity as necessary.

Great...

Well, I was about to go out of town for a few days, and I was checking the array to make sure everything was working so I could take it with me. But now I'm just going to turn it off and come back to it when I return. I'll post those reports when I get back this weekend.

Thanks for the quick response.

Note: I've been adding things to the array, so are there things that are written to parity and not on any actual data drives? The red drive is the drive where new data would go if it was working, since it is clearly the most free, but I don't know if it would have put the data on the other drives instead, or if it would just pretend like the red drive was working and update parity as necessary.

The drive that is "red" was taken out of service by unRAID when a "write" to it failed.  It is now being simulated by parity in combination with all the other drives.  So, technically, yes, there is the ability to re-construct the failed drive. and you can even write to the simulated drive.  There is a high likelyhood you've written to the simulated drive.  You should replace it as soon as possible. (or, at least determine if it was a loose cable that caused the write to faail, or a defective drive)

I attached the files mentioned. (I had to add the '.txt' extension to the syslog for it to upload, so remove it if need be.)

The difference between this problem and the problem that I linked to before is that, before, my overall status was red whereas now it is orange. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same problem as before, but it seems to be a little different.

So, if this is the same problem as Joe L. has described both times, then it looks like there is a problem either with my power connection, or the Sata connection (which could be anywhere from the cable to the pci card, to the pci slot on the mobo...). I'll start by changing the cable. Is it possible that the pci card isn't being recognized properly sometimes, or is this likely a hardware error?

Thanks.

smart.txt

syslog.txt

The drive down not look good for being so young, especially the Hardware_ECC_Recovered value. But it looks to be working.

Rebuild the drive:

Stop the array. Unassign the drive. Start the array. Stop the array. Assign the drive and start the array. The rebuild will begin.

Archived