New drive and replacing a drive.

swells

So i looked at the wiki for this but didnt really find what i was looking for. I have an older 1.5TB seagate i added to the array a few weeks ago when i was out of space. I just snagged a couple of 2TB Seagates from BB. I want to use one to replace the 1.5TB drive in my array with the 2TB drive and then use the 1.5TB as my cache drive. Can i simple stop the array and unassign the 1.5, assign the 2TB in its place, assign the 1.5 to cache and then start the array again? Or do i have to do this a different way?

So i looked at the wiki for this but didnt really find what i was looking for. I have an older 1.5TB seagate i added to the array a few weeks ago when i was out of space. I just snagged a couple of 2TB Seagates from BB. I want to use one to replace the 1.5TB drive in my array with the 2TB drive and then use the 1.5TB as my cache drive. Can i simple stop the array and unassign the 1.5, assign the 2TB in its place, assign the 1.5 to cache and then start the array again? Or do i have to do this a different way?

I would do a parity check first, to ensure all is well, as the contents of the 1.5TB drive will need to be re-constructed onto the 2TB drive when you restart the array.

I just did one yesterday as well as on the 1st for my monthly, should be ok there. So i dont need to shutdown right? Just reassign the drives as i mentioned? Also, the data that was on the 1.5TB will show up when i move it to cache right? So i just have to delete it or do i needt o format the drive or anything?

You need to power down the server to install the new 2 TB disk.  I would suggest that you do this one step at a time.  Assuming you already have the new disk installed:

1) Stop the array

2) Unassign the 1.5 TB disk

3) Assign the 2 TB disk

4) Start the data-rebuild

5) Once complete, run a parity check (just to be sure that the reconstructed data can be read back correctly)

6) Finally, stop the array and assign the 1.5 TB disk as your cache disk.

I believe that you are right, all the data on the 1.5 TB disk will be readable when you assign it as a cache disk, so you would need to manually delete it.  I believe the above steps are the safest way to go about this, since the data on the 1.5 TB disk will still be intact in case anything goes wrong with the data-rebuild.

Archived