RAM reporting issue, or bad memory?

Hi all,

I installed 64gb of RAM in my Unraid setup. It boots with 64gb ram reported on the dashboard but after a day or two, the RAM displayed shows 32gb. The "maximum size" always remains at 64gb, but I believe that's with disk cache.

There are no other errors. No containers stop working, GUI remains usable, there's no system crash.

In Unraid system info, once the RAM decreases to 32gb, it reports only 1 slot being occupied, versus the actual 2 that are in use.

I have tested system performance once the ram "disappears" by creating a VM that uses 40gb ram. The VM is able to boot. I thought it might be using swap, but running "free" and "htop" in terminal reports 0 swap usage and 64gb total ram.

If I boot into Unraid and start the VM, the ram doesn't disappear after a day or two.

Unraid is an enthusiast project for me, so I admit I am not too knowledgeable in Linux.

My theory is that Unraid showing 32gb of ram on the dashboard is simply a display error.

Any insight is appreciated.

First time I have heard of this ☹️

I would suggest you post your system's diagnostics zip file taken after this has occurred in your next post in this thread to see if we can spot anything and get more informed feedback.  It is always a good idea to post this if your question might involve us seeing how you have things set up or to look at recent logs.