Storage Setup

Hello, Unraid Community!

I'm excited to join and learn from all of you. I recently got my hands on a Fujitsu Q556/2 server, equipped with 512GB of internal SSD storage, and I would like to add a 1TB M.2 storage as cache alongside my existing setup, which includes:

7 x 1TB HDDs

2 x 4TB HDDs

2 x 128GB SSDs 

1 x 512GB SSD

1 x 1TB SSD 

I'm thinking how to best configure these drives with my server, particularly considering to connect them via USB, despite knowing it's not the recommended approach. I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to optimize this setup, especially regarding drive arrangement and connectivity methods that would suit my server's capabilities.

Thank you all in advance for your guidance and support!

4 minutes ago, Joouuseph said:

considering to connect them via USB, despite knowing it's not the recommended approach.

If you insist on USB, look for UASP support on external enclosures. It might help with some of the problems associated with USB for assigned disks.

I should have mentioned that most of the drives are external and the rest have already encloses. Sorry for that.
Need to check if the enclosures support UASP. 

Given these details, I'm curious about how you all would recommend configuring the array. Specifically, I'm looking for suggestions on:

The best use of the mix of SSDs and HDDs in my setup? Any specific considerations for Unraid when dealing with a majority of external drives?

SSDs in the array cannot be trimmed. Usual place for those is in pools separate for the array.

2 hours ago, Joouuseph said:

Any specific considerations for Unraid when dealing with a majority of external drives?

Reasons USB not recommended, whether or not these apply depends on the specific hardware.

1. No SMART reports so Unraid can't monitor disk health
  2. Inconsistent disk identifiers so Unraid can't keep track of disk assignments
  3. Nonstandard disk size reported which might affect whether or not a disk can be used as parity
  4. Frequent disconnects making the array out-of-sync. If you don't use parity there is nothing to be in-sync anyway so not as much of a problem.

UASP can prevent the first 3 problems.