[SOLVED] New precleared drive not assignable in management utility

kharas

First, my apologies if the solution to this is posted elsewhere - I've gone through the FAQ, wiki and Best of the Forums sections and didn't find an answer.

I've had a 4.7-build of unRAID running completely without issue for about 9 months, using 4x 2TB WD Green drives (3x EARS, 1x EARX). I started with 3 drives and added a fourth a month ago without any problems. I recently purchased a Seagate Barracuda 2TB at Best Buy and precleared it in order to add it to my array. The preclear went through without issue, however when I went to assign/format the new drive in the GUI it didn't appear as an option in the drop-down menu under the Drives tab. Parity and disks 1 through 3 are all showing up as they have been, but when I click on the drop-down to assign disk 4 the only option available is "unassigned". Am I missing something? I'm a complete noob when it comes to the finer points of unRAID, so please don't hesitate to tell me where I've gone wrong! Thanks in advance for your help.

syslog.zip

Ok, that fixed the initial issue - thanks for the tip, I didn't want to touch the unRAID in case I screwed it up further. Probably should've figured that would be step one.

Unfortunately, now I have a new problem: one of my previously-working data disks now shows as "unformatted" (I haven't added the brand-new precleared disk to the array yet). Should I run the reiserfsck tool on that disk to check the file system? To my knowledge, nothing has changed within the array since the last time all disks were working properly, but I want to err on the side of caution. Again, thank you in advance for your help - I'm definitely a novice and haven't figured much of this stuff out yet, but the resources here at limetech have been exceedingly helpful!

*edited to add: After looking more closely at the Devices tab, I noticed that the letters assigned to my drives appear to have changed - I now have a "sde" where I believe that drive used to be "sdb". I know I never had a "sde" drive before! Could that be part of the issue?

Ok, that fixed the initial issue - thanks for the tip, I didn't want to touch the unRAID in case I screwed it up further. Probably should've figured that would be step one.

Unfortunately, now I have a new problem: one of my previously-working data disks now shows as "unformatted" (I haven't added the brand-new precleared disk to the array yet). Should I run the reiserfsck tool on that disk to check the file system? To my knowledge, nothing has changed within the array since the last time all disks were working properly, but I want to err on the side of caution. Again, thank you in advance for your help - I'm definitely a novice and haven't figured much of this stuff out yet, but the resources here at limetech have been exceedingly helpful!

*edited to add: After looking more closely at the Devices tab, I noticed that the letters assigned to my drives appear to have changed - I now have a "sde" where I believe that drive used to be "sdb". I know I never had a "sde" drive before! Could that be part of the issue?

The device names are assigned in the order the disks are discovered by Linux  they can change from one boot to another.  Not an issue.

Older versions of unRAID use the disk controller ID to track a disk.   Newer ones use the disk serial number.

Do not press the FORMAT button, or you'll erase the data on that disk.  If it shows as unformatted, usually it indicates it was unable to be mounted.

To give any advice on how to proceed would require you to post a syslog.

I get "Failed to open the device '/eve/md3': No such file or directory."

*edited: Did you mean "reiserfsck --check /dev/md3"? If so, my results are:

Do you want to run this program?[N/Yes] (note need to type Yes if you do):Yes

reiserfs_open: the reiserfs superblock cannot be found on /dev/md3.

Failed to open the filesystem.

If the partition table has not been changed, and the partition is

valid  and  it really  contains  a reiserfs  partition,  then the

superblock  is corrupted and you need to run this utility with

--rebuild-sb.

Archived