User Shares Allocation Method Problem

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

So I have my Movie Share set to have 2TB (14TB drive) for minimum free space.  I have 2 drives set as Included Discs.  My allocation method is "Fill-Up".

I copy/move my movie files from my windows PC to my UnRaid Server, using Dynamix File Manager plugin on my unraid server.  This is my copy from/to location:   /mnt/remotes/WindowsPC_Disc M/Video   /mnt/disk5/Movies/  

Not sure why but I have gone past my minimum free space on my 1st disk drive.  my files are not automatically switching to my 2nd included drive.  Not sure if it is my Dynamix plugin or I have a setting incorrect.  I went a ahead and moved files from my full disc to my empty disc. Then I read that this was a no no.  Moved files appear to be fine and my full disc is now showing it is below my minimum threshold. 

I was thinking that my copy to location being disk5 may be the reason??

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Tim N

• Solution
1 hour ago, Aidan13 said:

I went a ahead and moved files from my full disc to my empty disc. Then I read that this was a no no.

Not sure where you read this - it is definitely OK.    What is NOT OK is copying mixing a User Share and a Disk share in the same command as if you are not careful this can lead to data loss.

1 hour ago, Aidan13 said:

I was thinking that my copy to location being disk5 may be the reason??

It will be.   When copying directly to a disk share you are by-passing the settings on User Shares that control where files should be placed.   For them to have kicked in you would have to have been using /mnt/user/Movies as the target (or the Movies share over the network).

8 hours ago, itimpi said:

It will be.   When copying directly to a disk share you are by-passing the settings on User Shares that control where files should be placed.   For them to have kicked in you would have to have been using /mnt/user/Movies as the target (or the Movies share over the network).

Now that I look at this makes complete sense, not sure why I didn't see it before.

8 hours ago, itimpi said:

Not sure where you read this - it is definitely OK.    What is NOT OK is copying mixing a User Share and a Disk share in the same command as if you are not careful this can lead to data loss.

Read part of the user shares wrong, I am still pretty new to linux systems I've read the User Share propably 3 times already and I'm only getting bits and pieces as I read.  I'll keep reading.

Thanks for the help

Tim N