Asus P8Z68-V PRO and unRAID

Loosley

Hi, I have a system with an Asus P8Z68-V PRO that I would like to use as an unRAID file server.  However I read in another thread on this forum that this motherboard was not recommended.  Would unRAID work for me?  I will be storing family photos & videos on the server, and so I want to make sure that it is working 100% before I commit to moving data to the server.  I have never used unRAID before.

Here is my complete system:

Asus P8Z68-V PRO motherboard

Intel Core i5-2500K processor

2x4GB Mushkin RAM

Corsair AX750 power supply

2x2TB WD20EARS drives

Corsair 650D case

Thanks!

Well, that is a gaming system minus the  video cards... serious overkill for unRAID.

It will also be a bit of a waste of electricity used on hardware that will unused by unRAID.

that said, it should work with unraid. a few things to keep in mind.

The Intel 82579 only works with 5.0Beta4 and newer.

LSI raid cards might not work in those 16xPCIe slots (a known issue with most asus P8 boards). stick to other brands.

There is a possibility that the 3rd 16xPCIe might be shared with the USB3 resulting in poor HBA performance if you use the 3rd slot for an HBA and not disable the USB3.

You should be able to build a 20 drive beast on that with a change of cases... not that most people would give up and Obsidian

Well then... I am not sure what the policies are on distributing older beta's.

I did not realize it was taken down.

Depending on what HBA you use, I guess you could go for 12a or 13.

Forgive my ignorance, but is a HBA an add-on PCIe card for installing additional drives?  If so, I am just planning on connecting my hard drives directly to the motherboard SATA ports for now.  Does this make a difference in the unRAID version I should use?

I installed 5.0beta-13 last night and I was able to see all my hard drives and add them to an array from the web management console.

Well then... I am not sure what the policies are on distributing older beta's.

I did not realize it was taken down.

Depending on what HBA you use, I guess you could go for 12a or 13.

Forgive my ignorance, but is a HBA an add-on PCIe card for installing additional drives?  If so, I am just planning on connecting my hard drives directly to the motherboard SATA ports for now.  Does this make a difference in the unRAID version I should use?

I installed 5.0beta-13 last night and I was able to see all my hard drives and add them to an array from the web management console.

Use the motherboard ports for now, but if/when you need more you will need the HBA

Forgive my ignorance, but is a HBA an add-on PCIe card for installing additional drives?

Yes, an HBA is a SATA controller card with no hardware RAID capabilities. They are generally less expensive and use less power. The Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 is the most popular HBA card at the moment and has been for quite a while.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Archived