Build Questions

spodee

I want to build an UNRAID system primarily to stream Video on my LAN to a boxee box.  I was recently given an old DELL XPS 710 it has a core two quad, 2 gb ram, 750 W power supply and 6 SATA 1.5 ports, and 10/100 NIC

1st off will this system run UNRAID?

2nd will the SATA 1.5 create bottle necks with streaming 1080p ISO or MKV 1:1 rips?

3rd will the 10/100 NIC cause a problem streaming the same 1080p video?

Write speeds are not important to me.  Streaming 1080p to my simple home theater is important and must be 1080p.  It would be even better if I could have 2-3 simultaneous 1080p streams from the same UNRAID box but I would be happy moving forward only being able to stream to 1.

1. I don't see why not. Just download the free version, stick it on a spare USB Thumbdrive and give it a go. You won't loose anything just by doing that.

2. Doubtful, unless you are putting in superfast SSDs. Mechanical drives generally top out about 120Mb/sec, that doesn't saturate a Sata1 interface. There are, however, other features of the SATA2 and SATA3 spec that are changed, its not just the speed.

3. TBH, don't know. Again, it wouldn't be hard to test. Boot to the free version of UnRaid, put in a spare HDD, set it up, and try it.

If it doesn't work, there are many different PCI/PCIe Gigabit Network cards that'll work with UnRaid so that is always an option.

Hi,

3. It's not the resolution of the file you have to worry about it's the bitrate.

i think bluray has a max bitrate of  54.0mbps or 6.7 MBps (video/audio) 1:1 rip

10/100 nic would give you 12.5 MBps but in real world would be more like 8 MBps - 10 MBps so you should be ok but doing as pantner suggested and doing a test with your hardware would be the best course of action, there are lots of variables to take into consideration.

i think thats right, i'm sure someone will correct me if it's not.

i have no problems streaming 1080p @8818 kbps rips over WLAN.

Hi,

3. It's not the resolution of the file you have to worry about it's the bitrate.

i think bluray has a max bitrate of  54.0mbps or 6.7 MBps (video/audio) 1:1 rip

Correct about the bitrate, except instaneous bitrate can often exceed that for short bursts. The OP will likely have more problems selecting a media player that handles their particular files. Most players only have a 10/100 connection anyways, but it is their SMB implementation or hardware decoding that results in less than expected playback of high bitrate files.

Archived