Upgrade or Not?

Shigo_Naito

I have been rereading about ESXi and I think I am going to be getting upgrades to try it again on my unraid server so that I can minimize the computers that are running in the house.  Currently I have a Supermicro MBD-X8SIL-F-O with an I3 and a MV8 card.  I am thinking I have two options.

1. I can get a X3470 Xeon and about 16GB of  memory on my current setup.

Or

2. I can get a new Motherboard with a Sandy Bridge CPU, and 16GB Memory.

I’m looking to see if it’s worth upgrading to a Sandy Bridge?

I have been rereading about ESXi and I think I am going to be getting upgrades to try it again on my unraid server so that I can minimize the computers that are running in the house.  Currently I have a Supermicro MBD-X8SIL-F-O with an I3 and a MV8 card.  I am thinking I have two options.

Or

I would Go CPU and as much ram as you can afford and get for that motherboard.

Or

I would keep the same motherboard.

the x8sil is a strong board for ESXi.

it has 2 compatable NIC's and can support up to 32GIGs of ram that is availble now unlike the sandybridge boards.

If you can, I would get 2 8GB RAM modules so that you have the option  upgrade to 32GIG in the future and not have to throw out good memory. (this might be not be cost effective? i have not priced 8 gig sticks recently)

I would use the $200 you save on the X9 board to buy extra RAM or a new mobo to turn the spare I3 into an HTPC.

Thanks prostuff1 and Jonm for the advice.

Johnm – I have seen your Atlas build post and you have posted some great info.  Have you seen or tested those 8gb sticks of memory you posted?  I have tried to look for more info on it and have yet to find anything.

For a 4gb stick solution, do I have to use buffered memory to get the hole 16GB or is un-buffered fine with a Xeon?

honestly, I have not played with an X8SIL personally. I believe if you are using a xeon you need to run ECC Buffered, and it is picky about the type.

I am sure there are people on this forum that can answer this better then I. otherwise a google-fu may be in order.

Archived