Replacement data disk is smaller than previous (3.9TB vs. 4TB)

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi! Recently one of my data disks failed and I purchased a replacement drive of the same model, an IronWolf 4TB NAS drive. 

However, Unraid sees the new disk as a 3.9TB drive, rendering it unable to be used to replace the failed disk. I was wondering if there was something I could do in this case to make Unraid accept it, or if its something wrong with the new disk that I had purchased.

image.png.9483c539fac02b11eb564c256b7c35c2.png

Trying to understand why its detected as 3.9TB and what options I have to fix up my array.

I've attached my diagnostics file below. 

Cheers, 

dogetower-diagnostics-20240308-1515.zip

Edited by squabbi
added screenshot of main tab with new disk
  • Solution

Disk is actually smaller:

User Capacity:    3,881,877,569,536 bytes [3.88 TB]

Which is strange, for a long time now that all disks from the same announced capacity have the exact same size in sectors, even from differing brands, I'm afraid you will need to get a different disk.

On 3/8/2024 at 8:24 PM, JorgeB said:

Disk is actually smaller:

User Capacity:    3,881,877,569,536 bytes [3.88 TB]

Which is strange, for a long time now that all disks from the same announced capacity have the exact same size in sectors, even from differing brands, I'm afraid you will need to get a different disk.

Not sure how far that goes back, but the disks I am replacing are maybe from 8-10 years ago at this point! Thanks for the pointer, I have 2 disks of the same 3.9TB so I might just redo the array with those 2 disks as data disks and keep the 4TB parity drives.