LSI 9300-16i Not Recognized by Unraid

First Time Using Unraid

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Unraid and encountering an issue right off the bat. I've ensured that my controller is recognized in the BIOS and the Controller is flashed to IT mode.

However, when I access the Unraid dashboard, none of the drives connected through the controller are showing up. This is a fresh installation, and I haven't modified any settings in Unraid or altered the default settings in the BIOS.

System:

AsRock B650I Lightning

AMD Ryzen 5 7600

2 x 8GB Crucial CT8G48C40U5 DDR5-4800

5 x Seagate Enterprise 4TB SAS HDD - ST4000NM0034

1 x Samsung 990 Pro 1TB (Nvme)

2 x Samsung 850evo SSD 250GB (Connected over Mainboard Sata)

LSI 9300-i16 

Dident test another OS yet so maybe the Controller itself is the problem.

Is there a way to see the connected drives in the BIOs/ should i be able to see them in the BIOs?

I also see that the Heartbeat lights on HBA are Blinking green first one then right after the second one and than it repeats.

syslog

From your diagnostics, it looks like Unraid finds and uses the controller right, there are lines in the system logs about MPT3SAS being loaded, and starting the 3008 chip (which is your Broadcom 9300-16i), but the controller doesn't detect any drives.

You do seem to have one of the latest firmwares (16.00.10, there is a 16.00.12 on the internet) but it doesn't show or list if the BIOS is installed.

If the BIOS is installed on your controller, there would be information displayed during booting about the card, and it looking for drives, and a list of the drives detected, together with a message about pressing something like CTRL+R or CTRL+C to enter the BIOS.

If the BIOS is not installed, check your firmware package, there should be some files called mpt3sas.rom and mpt3x64.rom which you can install with sas3flash -b (instead of sas3flash -f you use with firmware)

The output from the lsscsi command-line command shows the drives attached, and it lists your Samsung 850 and 860, so what I would do, is connect those (temporarily) to the SAS-controller, and see if they are detected that way too. If they aren't, you likely have cable-issues, or backplane-issues (if you use a server-case).

If you haven't used the controller and cables before (so you are not sure if they are the problem), and you are using SFF8643 to SAS/SATA breakout cables, you may have reverse breakout cables, which explains why nothing is detected, you need forward breakout cables.

Oh damn because of the case fan noise i dident notice that the sas HDD drives were not spinning at all (Backplane has no Status led).

It looks like the SSD works in all slots so the backplane, HBA and everything else is fine. Wich bags the question are all 5 SAS HDD dead? I bought them in the condition new on ebay and dident think much of it. I will search for an adapter / external hdd case i should have around here to check if i can get the SAS HDD running by themself otherwise i maybe just got scammed :c

When sas3 was new, there was an issue with drives not spinning up due to a pin being redefined, but your drives are sas3, so that isn't the issue. Even if the drive was dead, as long as the electronics work, they still power up and get recognized, so that does suggest dead drives. Some controllers aren't compatible with certain drives, but I don't know about those.

If you have any other sata or sas drives laying around, I would try those, to see if they are recognized, or get a SFF8643 to SFF8482 breakout cable, that way you'll be able to try any drive individually and see if they spin up, if they do, your backplane may not be compatible, or maybe your drives just aren't making contact properly. (You could also try to insert a drive in the backplane without the sled, and some cardboard under it for support, and see if they work that way).