2 of 4 HDDs Don't Spin Down

Go to solution Solved by stanh,

I have a 4 disk array: 1 parity + 3 data disks, all sata attached to the motherboard (an old Intel DG31, core 2 duo, 4GiB ram).  Running unraid 6.12.8.  All settings at default.

The parity disk and 1 data disk never spin down except with a manual spin down whereupon they spin right back up.  File activity plugin reports no activity.   No Docker or VM services running.  The data disk has a variety of data including systems data.   It also has has mac os Time Machine on it but even with that turned off still have the no spin down problem.  The other two data disks as well as the ssd in the cache pool spin down as expected.

Edited by stanh
content

You have:

system                            shareUseCache="yes"     # Share exists on disk1

which means that if the docker service is even active this will keep disk1 and parity spun up even when no containers are running.

You also have:

appdata                           shareUseCache="no"      # Share exists on disk2, cachepool

which is a bit strange.  Normally you want this share completely on the cache to avoid spinning up disk2 and parity any time a docker container is running that has files on disk2.

You may find this section of the online documentation accessible via the Manual link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI useful.

In addition every forum page has a DOCS link at the top and a Documentation link at the bottom.   The Unraid OS->Manual section covers most aspects of the current Unraid release.

Posted (edited)

Ok.  I have just changed the system and appdata settings to primary on cache and used Mover to move them to cache.  Still no spin down of disk 1 and parity.   Where are those share use cache settings?   (Note: I have docker and VM services turned off (my hardware can't even do VMs anyway).

Edited by stanh
new info
  • Solution
Posted (edited)

I just found the problem.  Syslog was being written to local folder on SYSTEM which was on disk 1.  When I changed the local syslog folder to be saved in APPDATA (which I moved to the cachepool) disks spin down.  All good now.

Edited by stanh