New larger disks: need help choosing my next step during replacement

Version 6.12.4

I bought six 18TB disks to replace MANY smaller ones and consolidate two servers. When they delivered I started the process of replacing/rebuilding one disk at a time and replaced parity and one data disk before I was reminded about Unassigned Devices. I installed a third new disk and added it to UD, then copied all array data (it's only 10.8TB) to it. Here's where I'm not sure what to do.

I was going to BACKUP THE FLASH DRIVE, remove all old disks, install new disks as xfs, add the new larger parity disk to the array, then use the new config tool. Once that's done, transfer to the array from the 1st UD disk that contains all of the data, then move that disk to the parity position, and let it rebuild.

Any missing steps? Is there a better solution?

status.png

Posted (edited)

I went ahead and got started this morning, following the steps in my previous comment. Everything's going fine. Without a parity disk, I'm averaging 145 MB/s for a copy from unassigned disk to the array. Haven't figured out how to use a queue function like in Total Commander, but I'd like to be present for each transfer anyway. It's only 10.8 TB, as I stated before.

• backup flash drive
  • power down and remove old disks, then installing new disks
  • power up and assign the correct disk to UD, then the others to array slots, leaving parity unassigned
  • confirm the filesystem for each disk is set to xfs
  • start array and format disks when prompted
  • copy data from UD to each disk
  • move UD to parity and rebuild
  • copy over another 41 TB from a different server using SMB shares < this is where I am now (so slow, but only 6 TB left)
  • shut down that old server
  • DONE
Edited by jeff.lebowski