New System: 3.5"HDDs not recognized

Go to solution Solved by MaxMuster,

Hello together, 

I have a problem I could not solve since a week... I am a bit frustrated. Maybe you guys here have some suggestions. I know, my problem is not that hard related with Unraid itself but maybe you know an other forum, where I can ask my question, if you think this fits not here.

Problem:

I tried to move my little "Unraid-Server" to a new system. (From my old custom build gaming PC to a smaller Fujitsu Esprimo D958/E94+ / MB: Data-sheet - more details in the diagnostics) Unfortunately on the new system, none of my 3.5"HDDs are starting / spinning up. Can't see them in the BIOS or feel vibration of a spinning disk...  

Further information:

- Attached to the system is at the moment 2x 3.5"HDDs (4TB WD-Red-plus(new) / WD2500JD-00HBC0 (old)) and one nvme.

visible is just the nvme. (configuration of the original array is different, but it doesn't matter for the problem)

- SSDs connected to the SATA or 2.5" HDD connected to the SATA are working fine - spinning up and are recognized in unraid and by the BIOS. 

What I have tried so far:

- I tried different SATA cables, 2 different SATA power cables( the one I use at the moment - Link) and 4 different 3.5"HDDs (WD Red Plus 4TB / WD2500JD 250GB / WD30EZRX 3TB / Hitashi... 3TB) --> All is working fine on the old system (could not test the power cables on the other system, because of the 4 pin connector, but other 2.5" and SSD is working good with the same cable, so here should be no problem)

- There are 5 SATA ports on the MB, I tried all...

- Tested as well with just one 3.5"HDD connected to the system.

- Using an external SATA to USB adapter with extra power supply and connecting it to the system the 3.5"HDD is recognized... - BUT this is no solution....

- Done several reboots with and without detached data cable...

- Tried without activated AHCI (Bios setting)

- A lot reading, as well here, but not much information found (mostly the 3.3v problem is mentioned related to not starting HDDs.... :() . Did not find much regarding problems with my system at all...

What I think to know so far:

- Is the thinking correct? Even if the data cable is not connected, just the SATA-power cable is connected to the HDD. It should spin up as well, at least for some time?

- There can be no problem with the 3.3v connector, because my SATA-power cable just have 4 cables (5v/12v/ground/ground) - additionally I tried the solution to tape the 3. pin on the SATA-power-connector on the HDD.

- I think there is maybe a Bios setting I am not aware of, what could maybe solve this? But the menu is not that big....

Next Steps if not other suggestion given:

- buying a cheap here in the forum recommended PCI card with SATA-connectors to check if there is the problem

- buying a new power supply. (What i don't want to do the original part costs about 130€ and I don't think that is the problem because 2.5" and SSDs are working fine with the power supply) 

Thank you for your answers in advance I hope I have structured it well so you ... ;)

Cheers,

Max

PS: I am not a native speaker so sorry for maybe some grammatical incorrectness... I tried my best. 

Diagnostics_HDDs_not_recognized_20240316.zip

11 hours ago, MaxMuster said:

- Is the thinking correct? Even if the data cable is not connected, just the SATA-power cable is connected to the HDD. It should spin up as well, at least for some time?

Correct, you should hear/feel the disk spinning up normally, and remain spun up.

• 5 weeks later...